Saturday, July 5, 2008

Obama and America's Commitment to Iraq

Barack Obama's continuing his move to the center by hedging his pledge for an immediate withdrawal of U.S. forces from Iraq (see, "Republicans Seize on Obama's Comments on Iraq").

Iowahawk writes Obama's message to the American people: "
A Clarification":

My Fellow Americans:

You may have read recent news reports that suggest I have modified my position regarding the redeployment of American military personnel in Iraq. Unfortunately, these reports have been the source of much confusion and anxiety among the millions of voters who have supported my campaign, and I would like to take this opportunity to address their concerns.

Let me be crystal clear: if elected president, my first act will be to call for the immediate withdrawal of all American troops from Iraq. I have always been consistent and forthright in this position, and I want to reassure my supporters that my recent statement backtracking from it was just some bullshit my staff came up with to tack to the center for the general election. To win this election, it will be critical to appeal to the dwindling but stubborn group of idiots who cling to fantasies of American "victory" in this tragic disaster. It's an unfortunate part of the complicated game of presidential politics, but let's face it: I can't stop this war if I'm not in the White House. However, you should know by now that whatever I may say from now until November, once elected I will immediately pull the rug from these gullible pro-war rubes.
This piece is classic, so read the whole thing in the original (it's that good).

0 comments: