Saturday, October 4, 2008

Your Mood is Like a Circus Wheel...

There was a time, back in the mid-1990s, when it struck me one day that almost all of my then-favorite musical artists were women.

I don't know what it was, exactly, but I think I was listening to Cheryl Crow, Jewel, and Sarah McLachlan ... all the time (and I had a serious infatuation with
Dolores O'Riordan, as well).

I'm reminded of those times whenever Christine McVie, one of my favorite female vocalists, comes on the radio - especially when she sings "
Over My Head," with Fleetwood Mac: 




I don't really know McVie's critical acclaim. But I do know that there's something about her voice that's spine-tingling ... she's just wonderful.



I wanted to post Fleetwood Mac YouTubes back in the spring, around the time John McCain won the GOP nomination. Other things came up, and different things got posted. When "Over My Head" comes on the radio, I'm reminded that I've gotten behind in my "Lightening Up" series.

Notice the two videos, however: The first is from 1977, when I was in high school. My big sister was way more hip and into Fleetwood Mac, listening to "Rumours" all the time when that was the hot LP. "
Over My Head" came out a little earlier, but whenever I hear the song I'm also reminded of those days as well. Lindsay Buckingham plays electric guitar in the 1977 concert above, with a longer instrumental introduction to the song. The second video is from the hyped tour in 1997, a reunion if I recall correctly, that got big television play on VH1 and so forth. I watched the concert a couple of times, if I recall. Buckingham plays acoustic, and McVie looks stunningly beautiful. Times go by so fast sometimes ... it's amazing.

Christine McVie retired from Fleetwood Mac in 1998, after the band was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. I always wondered about that. It's hard to think of a band continuing when one of the core members leaves the ensemble.

In any case, please enjoy. I'll have more later...

0 comments: