Thursday, May 28, 2009

She Started to Hate Every Nigger and Jew...

You know, I had a copy of the X's LP, Los Angeles, right when it came out. And as I'm getting ready to post this video, I'm seeing a couple of different versions of the lyrics. Did she buy "a clock on Hollywood Boulevard the day she left," or "a Glock on Hollywood Boulevard the day she left"?

John Doe's clearly sing a "Glock" here. But I don't think I knew what a "Glock" was in 1980, and the record lyrics had "clock" at the time. It makes more sense now, obviously. But why the political correctness on the album? Hating "Niggers and "Jews" was AOK? Check it out:


And check this from the sidebar comments at the YouTube: "Many complaints about Exene's singing here." Actually, she practically sounds like Billy Holiday in this cut. After seeing X in concert numerous times, I can tell you: That woman can't sing for squat.

They were grubby and cool, though, and
John Doe has appeared in a number movies over the years. Billy Zoom was probably the coolest guitarest ever to come out of the L.A.'s punk rock scene.



1 comments:

cracker said...

As A fellow fan

all I can ask is

How in thee hell did you end up Neo-Con Doc? A conservative sure, but a Neo-Con?......what the heck happened?

ehh....none of my Business

(gotta go.....headed to a Rollins show)

Cheers