Saturday, June 6, 2009

Bloviating Zeppelin on D-Day, June 6th, 1944

I thought of Saving Private Ryan today. I thought twice about posting a video, for as powerful as that movie is, I wasn't sure if the cinematic version of history would be solemn enough on today's 65th commemoration of the Normandy invasion.

I changed my mind after reading Bloviating Zeppelin's powerful essay, "
D-Day, June 6th, 1944: WHY WE ARE FREE":

Our WWII veterans are almost entirely gone. My father, an 8th AF B-17 pilot, passed away on February 11th of this year at the age of 88. Where did we find such men? Ordinary, common men from every part of our nation, from the farmlands of Iowa to the cities of New York and Los Angeles? They all answered the call, willingly, courageously, unselfishly. They set their lives aside in order to do their part. Some made it back; some didn't. Some came back in pieces.

Who will sacrifice for our nation's future? Where will we find our future warriors?

I fear: I do not see so many.

I still say: God bless America. The last, best hope for the entire planet.
Check the whole post.

BZ quotes from President Roosevelt's prayer for our troops, June 6, 1944, and President Reagan's "the boys of Point du Hoc" speech, June 6, 1984.

4 comments:

EddieSki said...

Thanks for sharing this. I watched the movie in its entirety for the first time today. I had seen the opening scene a few times, but never sat down and watched the whole thing. I too posted about D-Day on my blog. But great post.

- EddieC
http://eddieski.blogspot.com/

rbosque said...

My father-in-law passed away this past year as well. He served in Africa, India, and helped forge the Burma road. We are losing so many WWII vets.

Denise-Mary said...

"God bless America. The last, best hope for the entire planet."

Succinct, but says it all.

Rusty Walker said...

Thank you for this. All my WWII loved ones are gone, but for the stories and photographs I have. My Dad was 5th Army Air Corps, under MacArthur in New Guinea and talked of how they had hosed off a cattle boat to ship them over the Pacific, two days out one of the two toilets stopped up, the next week the other was gone. He has many photos of the jungle, topless New Guinea women, dead Japanese; Dad’s younger brother, Chuck, was shipped back home from Italy shell shocked; My Uncle Don voluteered for the Australian Infantry, was a POW working on the infamous Bridge on the River Kwai. When he came home from Japanese prison camp, where they had hung him by his thumbs and put out cigarette butts on him, at 6’ he weighed 98 lbs and had scurvy, and rickets. I don’t know how they did it. My 88 year old mother says, “Rusty, I don’t know how any of them survived.”