Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Robert Plant on Link Wray

Well it's good to see other conservatives blogging about rock and roll. From AOSHQ, "Review: It Might Get Loud."

Here is my absolute favorite moment of the movie.

All those guitar gods whose solos you play air-guitar to? You know what they do in their downtime?

They play air-guitar to their guitar gods.

This movie really made me want to listen to Zeppelin again. And Link Wray. And The Jam (The Edge cites The Jam's appearance on TOTP as opening his eyes to music).

And also... U2. Because I never liked U2, because I didn't like Bono. But The Edge, on the other hand, is such a... cool, understated guy, I think he completely balances out Bono's annoying messianism and makes it okay for me to like the band. The Edge here really was the star, because everything he said was interesting and just... pure information. Just very much fact, fact, interesting anecdote, fact, insight, small amusing joke, fact, fact, fact.

Page was cool too, but he didn't talk as much. I didn't get the sense of him I got about The Edge ....

I haven't seen "It Might Get Loud." In fact, I'm just now hearing about it! But I'm initially fascinated because my station, 100.3 The Sound, plays Zeppelin all the time. I've been wanting to writing about them. But secondly, recall that I blogged recently on Link Wray. And I could not believe me ears when I first heard his jams!

So look at Jimmy Page's excitement above! Same kind of emotion! That is so cool. And playing vinyl 45s!


Added bonus: Here's the movie's trailer. I'll definitely keep my eye's out for this, and will report back once I see it:

3 comments:

Reaganite Republican said...

Great stuff Donald-

Page was awesome in his prime, but he needs to give credit to The Creation's Eddie Phillips (1966) for the violin bow bit... he snaked that!

Grizzly Mama said...

Dang - the dudes are getting old!

Oh! I guess that means that I might be getting old, too??!

kreiz1 said...

Can't wait!!! But if Page tries to do a Super Bowl halftime with Plant, I'm outta here.