Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Carry Each Other...

I've never played U2 at the blog. I mentioned the band previously, noting for example that I caught U2 at the US Festival in 1982. But Bono and Co. are so associated with leftist causes it's ridiculous. Bono did praise President Bush for his Africa initiative, although he was then repudiated by abortion-rights extremists as part of a sweeping slur on the Bush administration for selling out the African continent. It's pretty convoluted. Mostly, I can just dig U2's sound without all the politics.

Plus, I wanted to get a couple of more links up for friends overnight, to make up for my own errors previously. So check out
Camp of the Saints and Ruby Slippers as well. I'll be back tomorrow for my regular rounds across the blogosphere. And enjoy U2's "One":

Bono described the song's theme as such: "It is a song about coming together, but it's not the old hippie idea of 'Let's all live together.' It is, in fact, the opposite. It's saying, We are one, but we're not the same. It's not saying we even want to get along, but that we have to get along together in this world if it is to survive. It's a reminder that we have no choice ...

Have you come here for forgiveness?
Have you come to raise the dead?
Have you come here to play Jesus?
To the lepers in your head

Did I ask too much?
More than a lot.
You gave me nothing,
Now it's all I got
We're one
But we're not the same
See we
Hurt each other
Then we do it again
You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher law
Love is a temple
Love is a higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can't keep holding on
To what you got
When all you've got is hurt ...

3 comments:

Opus #6 said...

Great band.

West said...

Most overrated band in history.

Bob Belvedere said...

Thank you, Donald.

As for U2, I must agree with West. Their early recordings are the best - ie: before they became mainstream popular and started thinking of themselves as the Gods Of Rock and Ambassadors from the country of Kumbaya.