Friday, October 7, 2011

Give Me Love: Thoughts on the George Harrison Documentary

German photographer and Beatles groupie Astrid Kirchherr is interviewed at Part I of "George Harrison: Living in the Material World." She said that George Harrison was kind to everyone he met. And that sense of Harrison is expressed again and again in interviews throughout the documentary. My personal policy is to avoid meeting stars and celebrities, to avoid the disappointments, but I would have never missed the chance to meet George Harrison. Part II was perhaps better than Part I, in that it focuses on Harrison's post-Beatles life and legacy. The New York Times stresses these disparate aspects as well, "A Life of Guitars, Girls and Gentle Weeping."

"Give Me Love" is one of the George Harrison songs I often forget about, but it came to me out of the blue while I was in the car yesterday, and parts of it are played in Part II, during the coverage of Harrison's commercial successes as a solo artist. And that reminds me, the Phil Spector interview is one of the more amazing segments of the film. And Olivia Harrison is a fascinating woman as well. She has an interesting manner of speech, and her affection for George is almost scholarly in its expression. I'm watching an encore broadcast on HBO as this post goes live. Try to catch it if you can.

0 comments: