Monday, January 6, 2014

Can't Get Tenure? Then Get a Real Job

Here's Megan McArdle, at Bloomberg, in a great piece:
The last few days have seen the eruption, among academic bloggers, of a tense discussion over tenure. These discussions have been going on for a while, of course, as the situation for newly minted PhDs keeps getting more dire, and the reaction of people with tenure is to tut-tut about how awful it is and say that someone should do something...
Continue reading.

The job market for new Ph.D.s in political science has sucked for a long time. I'm fortunate to have a full-time tenured job. Shoot, I'm living the life. I don't go back to school until February 3rd. It's basically a six-week paid vacation, since I'm paid over 12 months. I stay up until all hours of the morning watching movies, sleep in all day, watch football or whatever, all with no worries about publishing some hot-shot research paper or planning for some overrated academic conference. I haven't been to the APSA annual meeting in years, but considering the clusterf-k controversy over the New Orleans meeting a couple of years back, I might as well be going to a communist gathering at the MLA. (And God's wrath came down on the APSA anyway, with the meeting cancelled by Hurricane Isaac.)

(I should confess, for all the blather about the leftist and communists, I'll probably go back to APSA one of these times, when the correlation of circumstances works in my favor, including institutional conference funding and stuff like that. It's nice to get out of town, meet other teachers, etc., even if I have to avoid idiot Marxists most of the time.)

0 comments: