Friday, January 24, 2014

Russia Security Expert: 'I can't say I'm optimistic' there'll be no terrorist attacks at Sochi Olympics

And interview with Ariel Cohen, at the Foundry, "5 Things You Might Be Asking about the Sochi Terrorist Threats":
Who is in charge of security at the Olympics?

The Russian government. They have committed tens of thousands of troops and security personnel. I hope there will be no attacks, but I can’t say I am very optimistic.

Is it safe for Americans to be at the Olympics?

There is a chance to get hurt anywhere you go. Car crashes, plane crashes, you name it. The Olympic Games have their own tragic history when a Palestinian terror cell massacred Israeli Olympians in Munich, Germany, in 1972. That was a big surprise. However, this is one of the less secure games in my memory as the warnings from terrorists abound.
RTWT.

I'll be keeping track of developments on this. Personally, I expect attacks outside the so-called "ring of steel." That is, the athletes are probably safe. But outlying areas, like trains stations and shopping malls, could be vulnerable to indiscriminate attacks. I hope I'm wrong.


0 comments: