Saturday, September 19, 2015

Lawrence W. Reed, Ed., Challenging the Myths of Progressivism

Hey, thanks to the reader who picked up a copy of Excuse Me, Professor: Challenging the Myths of Progressivism through my Amazon links.

I appreciate the commission, of course, but I also appreciate learning about this book. It's a great topic.

Remember, I picked up a copy of Mark Bauerlein's similar edited volume, The State of the American Mind: 16 Leading Critics on the New Anti-Intellectualism. He's also the author of The Dumbest Generation: How the Digital Age Stupefies Young Americans and Jeopardizes Our Future (Or, Don 't Trust Anyone Under 30), which is a classic.

And see The Digital Divide: Arguments for and Against Facebook, Google, Texting, and the Age of Social Networking.

I can't begin to tell you how big an issue this is. I think (and worry) a lot about basic student knowledge, for example, about knowledge about American history, things like the Civil War or the Bill of Rights. I mean, what really do they teach kids this days? Or, even if they teach this stuff, what are kids actually learning? In far too many cases, it's just not enough. And it's sad.

0 comments: