Sunday, April 2, 2017

The Cultural Roots of Campus Rage

The Wall Street Journal has pretty much eliminated access through Google search, which is why I don't link them much any more. They've really "built the wall," the subscription paywall, heh.

But Instapundit's block-quoted most of Jonathan Haidt's op-ed, so this is worth posting.

See, "JONATHAN HAIDT ON THE CULTURAL ROOTS OF CAMPUS RAGE":
At the very moment where higher education is in trouble, it is dominated by a mindset that sets it in opposition to the mainstream culture. This will end well:
“People are sick and tired of being called racist for innocent things they’ve said or done,” Mr. Haidt observes. “The response to being called a racist unfairly is never to say, ‘Gee, what did I do that led to me being called this? I should be more careful.’ The response is almost always, ‘[Expletive] you!’ ”

He offers this real-world example: “I think that the ‘deplorables’ comment could well have changed the course of human history.”
I certainly hope so.
RTWT.

0 comments: