Sunday, May 18, 2008

Che Guevara Totalitarian Chic

No Che

Remember seeing those "I'm With Stupid" t-shirts, with an arrow pointing one way or another?

Well, the latest version of these the are iconic Che Guevara shirts, which seem to be more ubiquitious all the time.

I've got a couple of students this semester who wear Che gear to class every day. I want to bonk them on the head: "Hey, this guy was Cuba's executioner. Don't you know this? Why do you wear the image of a man who's also infamous as a '
cold-blooded killing machine.'"

You don't need an arrow with these shirts: They just announce, "Hey, everybody, I'm stupid."

I've written about this problem before, which to me indicates the anti-intellectualism of America's youth, and especially the brain-washing by many in the education profession.

But yesterday while out shopping at the mall with my oldest boy, I noticed an attractive, shapely young woman with an eye-turning, body-clinging t-shirt. Naturally I checked out the woman's figure first, but then I said s#!t to myself when I saw Che's image atop her chest!

Anyway, I thought I'd just vent here a bit. It's going to get a lot worse before it gets better, I guess.

See some other sources as well:

"The Killing Machine: Che Guevara, from Communist Firebrand to Capitalist Brand."

"Che Guevara: Totalitarian Diaries"

"A Revolutionary Icon, and Now, a Bikini."

Image Source: Those Shirts

**********

UPDATE: Black Five has an awesome post up on this, "Don't be a DouChe'":

...Dear angry, hate-filled lefties welcome to Blackfive. We aggravate more hippies by 9 am than most people ever do...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your a teacher,shame,because che wasent like castro just because he helped lower class people againts the abuses of the rich to people look at him like this ,look into his biography Read!! and learn something.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. FINALLY someone gets it. As a Cuban-American, I am highly offended by these suburban kids who wear his image and are ignorant to his crimes against very innocent people. He's a thief and a murderer.