Saturday, July 3, 2010

San Juan Capistrano Tea Party, July 3, 2010

As mentioned earlier, I attended an "Independence Day" tea party today in San Juan Capistrano. There's in fact another event tomorrow, so today was more in the Spirit of '76. The colonists had the Declaration of Independence prepared on July 2nd, of course, so I'm in the ballpark either way.

There were fewer patriots with protest signs today than I've seen previously. Below are a few that captured the feeling among the activists assembled:

Photobucket

Tea Party San Juan Capistrano

Tea Party San Juan Capistrano

*****

Okay, here's the chronological set of photos. It was great roster of speakers, although I socialized and took pictures more than listened to the speeches. I was happy to see my very good friend Opus 6 from MAinfo, and she's got some great posts with pictures and summaries: "Great Speakers at San Juan Capistrano Tea Party," and "Rep Ken Calvert Speaks in San Juan Capistrano." (GOP congressional candidate Star Parker, who is endorsed by Sarah Palin, spoke before I arrived --- so be sure to check Opus' links.)

Here's the entry to the event, at
Historic Town Center Park:

Photobucket

That's Opus 6 sitting up front at center (holding a BlackBerry, which she used for instant blogging from the event). She recognized me right away and waved. There were well over 200 people by Noon. Most folks brought lounge chairs to kick back:

Photobucket

The setup at the stage. Activist Eldon Alexander speaks:

Photobucket

Long-time readers might remember this sign from my previous O.C. tea party coverage:

Photobucket

Immigration policy was completely off the radar thoughout 2009's tea party mobilizations, but it's big nowadays. San Juan Capistrano's long been under a gang injunction from the state:

Photobucket

Here's the setup, with a Spanish colonial feel:

Photobucket

At the stage, each of these panels featured one of great colonial revolutionaries and founders. Thomas Paine was in the colonies just two years when he broke out with Common Sense:

Photobucket

James Madison might not seem the model for the tea parties, but as the "Father of the Constitution," tea partiers are hoping to restore Madison's venerable tradition of thwarting corrupt and unjust majorities:

Photobucket

This is Brian Watt, the Barking Dog of the Radical Right. He was recently featured in the libertarian Orange County Register, so I sat down and listened to his speech. Knowledgable and very well spoken. He hammered President Obama on all the Marxist scholars who're drafting policies for the administration, including Robert McChesney and the FTC's Reinventing Journalism campaign:

Photobucket

Below is Representative Ken Calvert of California's 44th Congressional District (Norco/Riverside). I listened for just a few minutes before cruising around to take more pictures. Calvert said he spoke at the big congressional tea parties on Capitol Hill, and constituents from the district flew out to be in attendance. Speaking of the current crisis, Calvert noted, "We only need to look at Greece and the EU to see what happens with unrestrained spending. My father used to say you can't spend yourself out of debt, son."

Photobucket

Another friendly tea partier:

Photobucket

This was really cool --- kinda like flag row over on the south end of the lawn:

Photobucket

Photobucket

A friendly patriot:

Tea Party San Juan Capistrano

Below, at one of the booths, a map of the gang injunction area. Big Hispanic population in San Juan Capistrano, with no doubt a large illegal enclave. While I don't think the entire event was about immigration, the Orange County Register's report suggests otherwise, "Hundreds Rally Against Illegal Immigrants." The piece quotes Representative Calvert's comments on the possibilities for immigration reform this year:

Photobucket

As he finished, I went over to thank Representative Calvert. He graciously posed for a photo:

Photobucket

I was distracted from some of the speakers by a group of radicals that was hanging out by the street. Members were engaged in discussion with a very attentive and patient conservative woman. I roamed nearby for a few minutes. Soon I heard one of the young men discussing Israel. He was arguing that Palestinans in Gaza lived in squalor, etc. I listened further. When he began arguing that Israel had no "Biblical right to occupy Palestianian lands." I couldn't remain silent. I told him that's not true. I said first Israel wasn't "occupying" the land, and secondly, the Jewish people have a biblical claim on Israel going back to before Exodus in the Old Testament. The fellow got agitated and walked toward me, calling me a "fool" for speaking out. I said to him: "Why are you calling me names? I'm simply rejecting your claim that Israel is 'occupying' the land ..." He seemed to mellow after that, and I imagine we could have conversed reasonably for a while. He said, for example, that he wanted "a two state solution" in the Middle East. So I asked him if he supported Hamas? He said, "No, I'm against violence, a peace activist." I told him that's exactly what the folks on the Gaza flotilla said. He told me he rejected the violence, and I said, "then we're in agreement." Basically, call these folks out on propaganda and if they're amicable, you might be able to get through a bit.

That said, the Register article notes that there was some additional conflict going on, which I missed:
While the event was mostly peaceful, a small group of anti-TEA party protestors gathered at the back of the park to engage in political discussion with the TEA party activists.

Alex Galindo, 23, from San Juan Capistrano, said the reception from the TEA party supporters was not friendly.

"It's gone exactly as I expected," the Saddleback College sophomore said. "I was arguing about the North America Free Trade Agreement and how it asks migrant workers to obey two unjust laws. Those would be the current immigration policy and the North America Free Trade Agreement. Only one person agreed with me.

Galindo said the rally's speakers had nothing important to say.

Adrian Castillo, 22, who met Galindo at the TEA party event, said h
e has felt discrimination since he was a child in elementary school.

"I want people in South County to know there is an opposition and that it's not just old, white, rich people," he said.

Galindo later got into an argument with members of the American third Position, a group based out of Westminster that wants to halt all immigration and expel illegal immigrants, after they started taking pictures of Galindo and his friends.
The story does not mention this woman below, who was much more outwardly militant than the young man I debated (who is not pictured). She was attacking the legitimacy of the United States, arguing against the U.S. government's "genocide" of Native Americans. When I said that in fact Native Americans were among the most brutal and oppressive populations in North America --- that they were not victims --- she got angry (she yelled at me, saying "I hate you"). She didn't want her picture taken, either, and perhaps refused to be interviewed for the Register's story. They're college students apparently, and somewhere they've been instructed by some extremely radical professors. It was almost a Ward Churchill seminar out on the lawn:

Photobucket

At left, partially obscured and wearing a cap, is the conservative woman who was trying to help the young militant woman see reason:

Photobucket

The event was winding down by now. I cruised back over to the front to say goodbye to Opus 6. I think I'll buy her a patriotic cap for next time to keep the sun out of her eyes!

Photobucket


11 comments:

Patrick in Detroit said...

What is with fugly liberal woman?

Ewwww...

Opus #6 said...

Excellent coverage as always, Donald. Just goes to show that you can't rush perfection.

Sarge Charlie said...

I am one of those angry mob folks that will vote in november.

Happy birthday America.

AmPowerBlog said...

Patrick: She had a nose ring, otherwise she might have been an attractive young woman. But she was angry and hateful of the U.S. ---- and that's not attractive.

AmPowerBlog said...

LOL!

Well, I don't know it it's perfect, but thanks so much. I'm looking forward to getting a more professional camera, for one thing, but I enjoy providing coverage at the events.

AmPowerBlog said...

That's a good kind of angry, Charlie. It's directed at improving the country, not tearing it down.

Dennis said...

Patrick,
One might be given to wonder whether the ugliness inside works its way to the outside. Whereas you look at a large number of conservative women and they exude beauty both on the outside and from within.
Just look at the wonderful smile on Opus #6 and a number of women in these pictures. A person's smile say a lot about them. Even the men have that engaging smile that speaks volumes about their desire to do good, correct and build. Something that seems to be missing when you see women and men on the Left who seem only interested in destroying. Even when they try to smile it comes over as snark, sniveling or unreal.
It is good to see average every day Americans getting together to state their case peaceably and with a good attitude. keep up the good work,

AmPowerBlog said...

Thanks for commenting, Dennis.

I think there are some genuinely compassionate and loving leftist women. But the way leftist ideology works, it instills hatred, for the most part.

Dennis said...

If the are genuinely compassionate and loving women they will either be affected negatively by leftism or they will move away from it.

Right Truth said...

Great pictures and what a fantastic way to celebrate America's birthday.

Debbie
Right Truth
http://www.righttruth.typepad.com

AmPowerBlog said...

Thanks Debbie!

I'm just glad the tea party was on Saturday since I want to stay home with my family today (have a beer and hamburgers, and watch the fireworks tonight).