Saturday, January 14, 2012

Greek Exceptionalism: Parents Dump Children They Can 'No Longer Afford'

Recall what the president once said: "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism."

Well, here's some Greek exceptionalism for you, at London's Daily Mail, "Children 'dumped in streets by Greek parents who can't afford to look after them any more'."

Hundreds of children have been abandoned in the crisis of economic austerity. I would rather work my fingers to the bone before abandoning my kids somewhere, and I think most people I've ever met would do the same.

HAT TIP: "Larwyn's Linx, Everything Is At Stake, All Right.

Added: It could happen here, or it could happen again, I should say. Thinking further, I found this about the Great Depression:
The Depression had a powerful impact on family life. It forced couples to delay marriage and drove the birthrate below the replacement level for the first time in American history. The divorce rate fell, for the simple reason that many couples could not afford to maintain separate households or pay legal fees. But rates of desertion soared. By 1940, 1.5 million married women were living apart from their husbands. More than 200,000 vagrant children wandered the country as a result of the breakup of their families.
I would die before I abandoned my own family. And dumping children is un-American if you ask me. And I believe it's people who've been coddled their entire lives, and who sponge off others and the state, who'd be the first to dump their kids on the side of the road. In other words, progressives. And if it comes it will be the result of the Obama administration's profligacy and recklessness. He's driving this country into the ditch. All the more reason to get rid of these people in November.