Sunday, July 19, 2015

Surfer Fights Off Great White Shark During South Africa Competition (VIDEO)

By the size of that dorsal fin it must have easily been a 15-foot great white, if not even larger.

Terrifying. The guy's lucky he wasn't killed.

At the Sidney Morning Herald, "Shark attacks Australian surfer Mick Fanning during live competition":

The shark approached ominously from behind as Fanning sat on his board, before launching at him.

"I was just sitting there and I felt something just get stuck in my leg rope, and I was kicking, trying to get it away," Fanning said afterwards.

Fanning appeared in shock and at a loss for words as he tried to describe the attack.

"I was just about to start moving and then I felt something grab [and] get stuck in my leg rope. And I instantly just jumped away and it just kept coming at my board. I was just started kicking and screaming. Wow!

"I just saw fin, I didn't see the teeth. I was waiting for the teeth to come at me as I was swimming."

Fanning, a three-time world champion, was competing against fellow Australian Julian Wilson in the world tour event final. The event was cancelled with the surfers to split the prizemoney.

Fanning and Wilson are locked in a world title battle, but the competition was the bottom of both surfers' priority lists following the incident.

"I'm happy to not even compete ever again. Seriously, to walk away from that, I'm just so stoked," said Fanning.

0 comments: