Saturday, June 10, 2017

Mandy Harvey Earns Golden Buzzer from Simon Cowell (VIDEO)

My sister shared this with me on Facebook.

I don't blog about it a lot, but I'm partially deaf. I lost my hearing after a head injury while seeing Charged GBH in Pasadena in 1983. Some hearing returned to my left ear. I read lips, although I never learned how to sign. I was always self-conscious of deafness, about how this somehow made me less than I was. It was an enormous personal, emotional, physical, and psychological blow. I imagine I've overcompensated for it since the injury, which is my entire life now.

So you can imagine how this moment from "America's Got Talent" makes me cry. And you can understand why my baby sister wanted me to see it.

And this woman Ms. Mandy is astounding. She's a monument to human perseverance and goodness in the world. Everyone feels at some point that they want to give up. The hardiest among us resist, but not everyone's got the strength. God gave me strength. I didn't know it at the time, but I prayed. Now I now it. I know Ms. Mandy's got God as well. She beautiful.

At the Seattle Times, "Watch: Deaf singer wows Simon Cowell, earns Golden Buzzer on ‘America’s Got Talent’."



0 comments: