Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Michele Bachmann Steals the Show at New Hampshire Presidential Debate

Andrew McCarthy took the words right out of my mouth, "Re: Bachmann Smart, Media Dumb":

I second Stanley’s analysis. I also saw Michele in person for the first time at David Horowitz’s retreat, and I was amazed at her combination of command and charisma. She spoke at great length about a wide variety of topics and took questions from the very engaged audience — without notes, with clarity and depth, and with a nice mix of humor and charm. She’s got a good lawyer’s mind for getting from A to B to C without losing the big picture, and she has the rare ability to grasp wonky details without sounding like a wonk.
I didn't have "a long chat" with Bachmann, as McCarthy says he did at the post, but as I said at the time, her talk at the Horowitz retreat sounded like a stump speech. I'm really happy for her, and pleased that she's getting a huge boost. She was a real winner last night.

See also Memeorandum.

I'll have more later.

3 comments:

Kenneth Davenport said...

I admit I don't know much about Bachmann -- but what I heard last night impressed me. We'll see if she can carry a full-blown presidential campaign beyond Iowa. I think barring a major new entrant, Romney is going to take the establishment vote and he'll have to take down a Bachmann, Cain or a Perry for the nomination. My guess is that he is going to be the nominee. And despite Romney Care, he is fully capable of raising the money necessary to go toe-to-toe with Obama. How about Romney-Ryan?

Jason Pappas said...

I like Michelle, too. Bachmann is the logical choice for VP to get the solid right out in Nov '12 and put Romney into office. She's a well-read Palin. I like the WSJ article (the other day) that says she takes Von Mises to read at the beach. My brain hurts just thinking about it and like you I have a PhD.

Bruce Hall said...

Romney creates as much excitement among conservatives in Michigan as Gov. Rick Snyder who won on the basis of two conservatives splitting a much higher percentage of the vote.

It is likely that conservatives will eat their young and Romney will be left as the residual winner to lose to Obama.