Wednesday, February 6, 2008

McCain is Already Gone!

I've been blogging John McCain like a wild-eyed maverick for the last month or so.

With the Arizona Senator's decisive showing in the Super Tuesday primaries last night, now might be a good time to take a breather. I'm taking my wife and sons to Las Vegas for a long weekend.

We've planned a visit to Mandalay Bay's "Shark Reef" aquarium, as well as a magic show at the Tropicana.

So in lieu of a big, beefy post analyzing the election results, let me just share some of my more irreverent musings of recent weeks.

My family gave me books and music for Christmas. One of the CDs I received was the "
Eagles - Their Greatest Hits 1971-1975."

I've been playing it during my morning drive just about every day, and some of the songs have reminded me of the current happenings in the GOP race.

While McCain fell short of clinching the Republican nomination last night, he did notch enough wins for unimpeachable frontrunner status. For all intents and purposes, the Arizona Senator's "Already Gone" (via
YouTube):


Well, I heard some people talkin’ just the other day
And they said you were gonna put me on a shelf
But let me tell you I got some news for you
And you’ll soon find out it’s true
And then you’ll have to eat your lunch all by yourself
’cause I’m already gone
And I’m feelin’ strong
I will sing this vict’ry song, woo, hoo,hoo,woo,hoo,hoo

Folks sure did want to put McCain on a shelf last summer, when his campaign was broke and sinking in the polls. Now, though, he's raging back, steamrolling his way to the nomination, and Rush Limbaugh's going to have to eat his lunch all by himself.

Mitt Romney proved dramatically that the irrational right bet on the wrong horse this season. Romney won his home state, and five other small states, and in his concession speech - despite his fading importance - he vowed to stay in the race.

His Eagles song: "Take it to the Limit" (on YouTube):
So put me on a highway
And show me a sign
And take it to the limit one more time

Take it to the limit
Take it to the limit
Take it to the limit one more time
(Mike Huckabee was going to be paired with Mitt Romney for taking the primaries to the limit, but his unexpected strength in the Bible Belt last night's given him a "Peaceful Easy Feeling" regarding his future influence on the GOP).

I thought about Rudy Giuliani and Fred Thompson as well. Their song: "One of These Nights" (on YouTube):

One of these dreams
One of these lost and lonely dreams
We’re gonna find one
One that really screams...

One of these nights
In between the dark and the light
Coming right behind you
Swear I’m gonna find you
Get ’ya baby one of these nights
One of these nights
And Ron Paul? Because of his utter hypocrisy on the congressional pork barrel, his song's "You Can't Hide Your Lyin' Eyes" (on YouTube).

Glenn Frey sings, "On the other side of town a boys is waiting...," but for Paul we sing "On the other side of town earmarks awaiting..."
You can't hide your lyin' eyes
And your smile is a thin disguise
I thought by now you'd realize
There ain't no way to hide you lyin' eyes

I'll be back Sunday afternoon. Regular posting should resume shortly thereafter.

As is my usual practice, I'll visit and comment at the blog of all those who comment here (excepting anti-McCainiacs, of course).

Have a great weekend!!

0 comments: