Monday, July 5, 2010

Enterpriser

My results, at the Pew Center Typology Test. Pay attention to the "defining values" section, third down. I'd say that pretty describes my orientations:

Enterpriser

Based on your answers to the questionnaire, you most closely resemble survey respondents within the Enterpriser typology group. This does not mean that you necessarily fit every group characteristic or agree with the group on all issues.

Enterprisers represent 9 percent of the American public, and 10 percent of registered voters.

Basic Description

As in previous studies conducted in 1987, 1994 and 1999, this extremely partisan Republican group’s politics are driven by a belief in the free enterprise system and social values that reflect a conservative agenda. Enterprisers are also the strongest backers of an assertive foreign policy, which includes nearly unanimous support for the war in Iraq and strong support for such anti-terrorism efforts as the Patriot Act.

Defining Values

Assertive on foreign policy and patriotic; anti-regulation and pro-business; very little support for government help to the poor; strong belief that individuals are responsible for their own well being. Conservative on social issues such as gay marriage, but not much more religious than the nation as a whole. Very satisfied with personal financial situation.

Who They Are

Predominantly white (91%), male (76%) and financially well-off (62% have household incomes of at least $50,000, compared with 40% nationwide). Nearly half (46%) have a college degree, and 77% are married. Nearly a quarter (23%) are themselves military veterans. Only 10% are under age 30.

Lifestyle Notes

59% report having a gun in their homes; 53% trade stocks and bonds in the stock market, and 30% are small business owners – all of which are the highest percentages among typology groups. 48% attend church weekly; 36% attend bible study or prayer group meetings.

2004 Election

Bush 92%, Kerry 1%. Bush’s most reliable supporters (just 4% of Enterprisers did not vote)

Party ID

81% Republican, 18% Independent/No Preference, 1% Democrat (98% Rep/LeanRep)

Media Use

Enterprisers follow news about government and politics more closely than any other group, and exhibit the most knowledge about world affairs. The Fox News Channel is their primary source of news (46% cite it as a main source) followed by newspapers (42%) radio (31%) and the internet (26%).

I took the "Political Compass" test yesterday (here).

The graph shows my results. I'm over to the right and down, closer to the libertarian position. (If you check
the website, folks like G.W. Bush are way up in the upper right quadrant, so who knows?)

My Political Compass


5 comments:

Chris McClure aka Panhandle Poet said...

Hmmm...I also was an "Enterpriser" but on the Political Compass test I scored just a hair left of center and slightly above the line (barely into the upper left quadrant). I have taken the test in the past and scored in the upper right quadrant. I suppose that my views are changing slightly as I age -- almost balanced on the economic side but slightly authoritarian -- probably due to my views on a couple of polarizing social issues.

I always find these tests interesting but acknowledge that they also contain inherent biases. There is no way to simplistically evaluate where one "fits" into the spectrum -- it all boils down to individual issues and the level of "informed-ness". I also believe that religious belief is a critical component. Thanks for the diversion, Donald!

Dennis said...

I also am an "Enterpriser." I was in the on the same quadrant, a little below the center line, as you on the Political Compass test, but more to the right.
As in all tests of this type there are a number of questions that one feels the question and available answers leave something to be desired. I would have to agree with Chris.

JBW said...

Of course these types of tests leave something to be desired but I think most people would be less apt to take a much more comprehensive test, plus to provide more accurate answers would require asking something better than just multiple choice questions.

I scored as a "Liberal" (surprise!), ended up in pretty much the exact spot as you Don except on the left (surprise again!) and was about 3-4 times more Libertarian (no surprise there).

Having ended up in such a narrowly defined cohort I imagine you answering many of those questions "strongly agree/disagree" Don, which I'd attribute to your predominantly black or white world view. I was also somewhat surprised that you managed to barely make it over the line into Libertarianism. I'd similarly attribute this more to your views on economic freedom rather than personal and bodily liberties. Nonetheless, an interesting diversion.

Tim Johnston said...

These are fun!

I did this one a while ago and, from memory, ended up about 4 squares to your right on the same axis.
The quadrant sure beats the worn-out 'political spectrum' we've been force-fed, which conveniently places Fascism as far from the loony left as possible!

Dennis said...

I answered very few questions with a strongly agree or disagree. Most answers were either agree or disagree.