Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Theodore White's 'Making of the President' Series

I took my first political science class in 1986.

The professor, Mr. McDonald at Saddleback College, was into the old machine-style urban politics of the turn of the 20th century. I remember him talking about that all the time. I also remember him giving us a reading assignment for the semester, where we had to read two books of political journalism and write reports.

I read Theodore H. White's, The Making of the President, 1960, and Breach of Faith: The Fall of Richard Nixon.

In his presidential election series, White also wrote The Making of the President, 1964, The Making of the President, 1968, and The Making of the President, 1972.

Breach of Faith is out of print, but all the books in the president's series are available. They're unsurpassed in presidential election journalism, and given the nostalgia of the 2016 election, I'm sure some of my readers might enjoy Teddy White.

I haven't read Richard Ben Cramer, What It Takes: The Way to the White House. It's been on my list for a while. From what I hear it's a magisterial tome in the style of the Teddy White series.

In any case, more blogging tonight. I should be home sometime after 5:00pm.

Have a wonderful day.

0 comments: