Monday, July 5, 2010

Matthew Rothschild at The Progressive — 'I Don't Believe in Patriotism'

I really spoke too soon!

I knew there was something like this out there this weekend. I just missed it earlier. See, "
Why I Don’t Celebrate July 4." And I have no response other than I doubt Rothschild even likes apple pie:
You can call me unpatriotic if you’d like, but really I’m anti-patriotic.

I’ve been studying fascism lately, and there is one inescapable fact about it:

Nationalism is the egg that hatches fascism.

And patriotism is but the father of nationalism.

Patriotism is not something to play with. It’s highly toxic. When ingested, it corrodes the rational faculties.

It gulls people into believing their leaders.

It masks those who benefit most from state policy.

And it destroys the ability of people to get together, within the United States and across boundaries, to take on those with the most power: the multinational corporation.

Plus, it’s a war toy, wheeled out whenever a leader needs to improve his ratings by attacking some other country—often after invoking God’s name, too.

It’s been so since the Spanish-American War and World War I and right up through the Iraq War and the Afghanistan War.

American patriotism has also gotten in the way of solving global warming. Many in the United States, which consumes 25 percent of the world’s resources but has just 4 percent of the world’s population, believe we have the God-given right to use up all the resources we can. And there is an all-too-common attitude that we don’t need to listen to any other countries, or the U.N., or obey any international agreements because we’re Americans, and we’re better than everybody else.

We’ve got to get over patriotism, and we’ve got to cure the American superiority complex.

So celebrate the 4th if you like.

But as for me, between God, country, and apple pie, I’ll take the apple pie.
Come to think of it, I will add this Moonbattery quote: "If his previous articles are any guide, Matthew Rothschild is a one-man parade of progressive left douchebaggery."

2 comments:

Kyle J said...

I for one kinda see where Matthew is coming from. Though I disagree with his approach and still count myself as having a very patriotic attitude, I think what he was more getting at was Americans sense of Arrogance. Americans can fall into the trap of thinking, myself falling into this trap, that we cannot learn anything from the "outside" world. So I think what Matthew truly was getting angry over was this sense of arrogance and superiority. But I'm not sure, I haven't read any of his other posts to gather a feeling of his ideological bent.

Stogie said...

Matthew is a dogmatic leftist. His beliefs are nonsense. It is internationalism, not patriotism, that inevitably leads to collectivism, loss of sovereignty and a lack of will to defend one's country from both internal and external threats. This far-left ideology embodies self-hatred and self-loathing. Being patriotic is being loyal to one's own family of countrymen, making their demise less likely.

As far as global corporations being our main threat, that is again truly laughable. Do these corporations have armies and navies? Are they planning to invade us? Or are they just concerned with providing products and services (and with them jobs and tax revenues) for a profit?

Matthew's dogma is common sense turned inside out.