Monday, March 10, 2008

Feminist Hat Trick: It Doesn't Get Any Better!

Well, by now you've seen my post on Hillary Clinton's "invisible woman" campaign, as well as the follow up on the Charlotte Allen uproar at the Washington Post.

Well, it turns out that the feminist Torquemadas are just starting to roll. Linda Hirshman's been axed from her writing gig over at Talking Points Memo, apparently for not toeing the Obama line this last week during WaPo's "Allen affair."

But hey, without further ado, here's
the first person account:

Hi there. Linda Hirshman here. I just got the boot from TPM Café, where I have been blogging for more than a year. Back story: I published a piece on the cover of the Outlook section of the Washington Post last Sunday, March 2, on the class divide in Hillary Clinton's female supporters. Since I criticized the scribbling females of the blogosphere, the article elicited the predictable onslaught of response from them. But when I sent Andrew Golis, my normal contact at TPM Café, my response to post, I got an email telling me TPM had pulled my posting privileges (I don't normally publish email exchanges, but I have no personal relationship with any of the people at TPM, including Golis, and this seems like a fairly straightforward public business communication with no personal material involved.): "For the time being, we're cycling our regular contributers [sic] at the Coffee house and trying to cut down the number of folks with at will posting privileges. If you occasionally have a piece I'd of course love to check it out. But unfortunately we're limiting the number of people who post regularly."

I must admit I was a little surprised. I have not been fired in a long time (decades, really), and I think I'm having a pretty good run in the crowded precincts of political commentary. True, my last few postings at TPM Café were not in keeping with the overwhelming majority of their articles, making and making the case for Senator Barack Obama.
I questioned the value of an Idaho caucus victory. I criticized Maureen Dowd's column suggesting that when a perfect female candidate came along, the media would be delighted to support her. I suggested that "Josh" might have waited to get more survey results before he posted his video embracing the ultimately erroneous Zogby predictions for the California primary the afternoon before the primary. But I thought that the new media of the blogosphere was actually established in part to offset what they considered the tendency of the MSM to cut its coverage to suit its preexisting, largely establishment, predilections. So I was blithely oblivious to the possibility that my dissenting views on the inevitability and divinity of the Obama candidacy might cause a problem. Never bashful, I thought I'd press the messenger.
Now this is a woman for my heart!

Questioning
poll findings favoring an Obama win? Oh, the audacity!!

If you
check the post Hirshman's got some of the e-mail from TPM, and don't miss the closing:

They do not appear to have deacquisitioned Ruth Rosen, who is one of the Feminists for Peace and Barack Obama!™ which of course only supports my most paranoid thoughts.
"Feminists for Peace and Barack Obama," eh?

That's a mouthful, at the least (and check some of Hirshman's links, where you'll see some insight to the feminist divide, not to mention Kathryn Jean Lopez at the National Review).

0 comments: