Sunday, January 12, 2014

'They Died for Nothing?' #LoneSurvivor Marcus Luttrell Takes Jake Tapper to SEAL School

Following up on my earlier entry, "Former Navy SEAL Marcus Luttrell Didn't Want to Write 'Lone Survivor'."

I saw this yesterday and the story was at the back of my mind as we went to the movies last night, but I'm just now getting fully up to speed on the story.

From Twitchy yesterday, "Jake Tapper defends tense interview with ‘Lone Survivor’ Marcus Luttrell."

But you have to watch. Luttrell's clearly pained at the question, especially the idea of "senseless" deaths of his comrades. And he responds like the trained warrior he is.

Watch it, vie Ericka Anderson, "Navy SEAL from "Lone Survivor" Sets This Journalist Straight on What It Means to Protect America."


Jake Tapper: One of the emotions I felt while watching was, first of all, the hopelessness of the situation, how horrific it was. And I was torn about the message of the film in the same way that I think I am about the war in Afghanistan itself. I don’t want any more senseless American death.

Marcus Luttrell: I don’t know what part of the film you were watching, but hopelessness never really came into it. Where did you see that? We never felt like we were hopelessly lost or anything like that. We never gave up. We never felt like we were losing until we were actually dead.

Tapper: It seemed senseless. I don’t mean to disrespect in any way, but it seemed senseless — all of these wonderful people who were killed for an op that went wrong.

Luttrell: We spend our whole lives training to defending this country, and then we were sent over there by this country. So you’re telling me because we were over there doing what we were told by our country, that it was senseless? And my guys, what? They died for nothing?

Tapper: No.

Luttrell: That’s what you said. So, let me just say, it went bad for us over there, but that was our job. That’s what we did. We didn’t complain about it.
RELATED: At the San Francisco Chronicle, "The Massive Civilian-Military Divide — In Two Emails."

0 comments: