Monday, May 6, 2013

Back From 'Schools for Subversion'

Here's the announcement, "Schools for Subversion: How Public Education Lays the Foundation for University Radicalism."

I had a wonderful time meeting and listening to Professor Mary Grabar at tonight's event.

Mary Grabar photo photo36_zps8dd164af.jpg

I didn't take a lot of picture nor a lot of notes. I enjoyed all the speakers. And the panel was well moderated by Ben Boychuk. The question and answer session was still rolling along when I left the hotel at about 9:50pm. In fact, I was enjoying the Q&A almost as much as the panelists. There are some really deep and passionate opinions on these issues, and at times it feels as if it's impossible to overcome the enormously deadening leftist bureaucracy. I nevertheless felt as if there's plenty folks can do to make things better in public education. I'll try to have some more detailed thoughts later (on what little notes I took).

Oh, for now though, note that Mary's parents got her out of Yugoslavia (Slovenia) when she was 2-years-old. Mary's a naturalized American, an immigrant. When she talks about the crisis of liberty in education it's not theoretical. It's a real, visceral reaction to leftist totalitarianism in our most important cultural institutions.

Plus, note also that panelist Kyle Olson is the author of Indoctrination: How ‘Useful Idiots’ Are Using Our Schools to Subvert American Exceptionalism. I'm going to order a copy for myself later this week when I get some downtime.

0 comments: