Friday, March 15, 2013

When the U.S. Kills an American Citizen

From the letters to the editor, at the New York Times:
Re “A U.S. Citizen, in America’s Cross Hairs” (front page, March 10), about the targeted killing of Anwar al-Awlaki in Yemen:

I am a United States citizen; I was born here and have lived here all of my 81 years. If I were a threat to this country’s safety, I would expect to be caught and brought to justice.

The idea that any president can kill an American citizen without a trial is abhorrent and frankly scares me more than any act of any “terrorist.”

Senator Rand Paul’s politics are not mine by any stretch of the imagination, but I applaud him for trying to make the American public aware of what those we elected are doing.

It is a disgrace.

RITA LASAR
New York, March 10, 2013

The writer, whose brother died in the World Trade Center, is a co-founder of September 11th Families for Peaceful Tomorrows.
More at the link.

0 comments: