Friday, November 7, 2008

Tears of Transformation

Judith Warner comments on the significance of Barack Obama's election:

Tears

This moment of triumph marks the end of such a long period of pain, of indignity and injustice for African-Americans. And for so many others of us, of the trampling and debasing of our most basic ideals, beliefs that we cherished every bit as deeply and passionately as those of the “values voters” around whose sensibilities we’ve had to tiptoe for the past 28 years.

The election brought the return of a country we’d lost for so long that it was almost forgotten under the accumulated scar tissue of accommodation and acceptance.

For me, this will be the enduring memory of election night 2008: One generation released its grief. The next looked up confusedly, eager to please and yet unable to comprehend just what the tears were about.
Warner's speaking of the woman and her daughter above, in one of those priceless moments in time that captures a flick on the radar of epochal change.

But Warner preceded these remarks with some considerably less eloquent words (Republicans, for example, are marked by a "miserly indifference to the poor and middle class").

As the son of a black man who was born in Missouri, a former slave state, in 1913 during the depths of Jim Crow, and as one who's faced my own questions of racial acceptance in a society of "white hegemony," to borrow Warner's phrasing, I can testify to the significance of Obama's victory: It's revolutionary, not in the regime-change sense, but in the scope of social significance.

This I welcome. Had my father - a New Deal Democrat himself - been here to witness history this week I'm sure he would have been overcome, and I would have placed my hand on his cheek in comfort (for he endured tremendous pain).

I don't think, however, Warner and folks like her are doing American society any good by speaking of the Reagan Revolution in terms of "intellectual and moral paucity." Obama himself, during the primaries, recognized President Reagan's power of opitimism and singular character that changed a nation.

The Democratic-left certainly earned this moment, and I know how it feels to thrill in victory. I can't help but think, however, that all the calls for post-partisan transformation will be long-forgotten well before the Obamas get settled into 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

No, I don't think so, Philippe. Blacks have special grievances others can't appreciate. My dad was black (mom white, like Obama's), and I know he faced a lot of discrimination. He died in 2004, but I know he'd be moved with the changes we're seeing.

I'm hard on Obama myself because I don't like what I consider his radicalism. He's an historic figure, that's for sure.

Thanks for visiting.

Kenneth Davenport said...

Donald --

I didn't know that you have a mixed racial background like Obama does. Do you consider yourself to be black? I ask because I actually don't consider Obama to be black. I have a Jewish mother and a father who is a Gentile; under Jewish law, I am Jewish because my mother is. If I apply the same logic to Obama, he is of mixed race but is actually caucasian like his mother -- regardless of the color of his skin. I realize that this may not be consistent with all racial categorizations, but it is the way I look at it. I'd be interested to hear your take.

I never had an issue with Obama's race -- as I wrote repeatedly. My issue is with his background, inexperience and his politics. Period. I bet that the majority of conservatives who oppose him feel exactly the same way.

Anonymous said...

Ken: The "one drop" rule dating from slavery times meant that a mixed race child was considered black, although if you study that history, light skin had its advantages.

I don't dwell on it too much. Usually other people make a big deal out of it, especially leftists.

Right Truth said...

I understand the historical significance of Obama's election. I understand that Black people hold their heads a little higher today, and who can blame them.

But to say that Republicans do not understand or have sympathy or help those in need is just crazy and not true.

Debbie Hamilton
Right Truth

Gayle said...

It does really stick in my craw that Republicans get blamed for things that aren't true, Donald. We aren't the party that kept them in slavery. But the majority of them - not all - just the majority, actually believe the opposite. It's truly unjust.

I'm happy for the Black population, and hope now those who say America is a racist nation will cease and desist. Yes, there will always be racists, from both Blacks and Whites, but it doesn't go down party lines.

I wish I could trust Obama and that's the truth of it!

Blessings.

Oh... I didn't post anything new. Just visiting. :)

Law and Order Teacher said...

Dr. D,
I am sure that this day brings a special feeling to you. I would never suppose to have your feeling about this election. But I would commend you on the fact that you stuck to your ideological guns, regardless of color. Your father I'm sure would be proud that his son was not a man that considered only color, but was a man of substance who judged people by their ideology, regardless of their color. I would only hope that I had the same substance to my character. I hope that your students take your example and judge people by what they say and not by what they are. Well done, sir.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting, Debbie!

Anonymous said...

Gayle! You're so right. The lefties make a big deal about how Nixon or Reagan were "mean and cruel" to blacks, by cutting out of control entitlements, but the real racist party was the Democrats until at least 1964, and even later.

Anonymous said...

Hey LOT: Actually, I was a Democrat until the time of the Iraq war. I voted for Jesse Jackson in 1988. I think the party's changed so much from even that time, especially on the war. The Bush administration really opened up the Democrats radicalism, and that's turned me off.

Ray said...

Uplifting and written piece and election in racial terms, although in my opinion sadly bestowed upon the wrong African American man for Phillipe's and your above stated reasons.

Now why Donald I always ask do not the majority of African American's not see this blatant truth you accurately reveal:

"but the real racist party was the Democrats until at least 1964, and even later."

Righty64 said...

Actually, as a white male I am like you, opposed to Obama's policies. But, I get this moment. I am too young to remember the fact that blacks within my lifetime could not get water out of certain water fountains. Eat at a counter at a restaurant. Petty and crappy things done only to show a false superiority. And, because of that, I appreciate what this means to non-white people. BTW, I do not know if anyone heard his comment about refering to himself as a "mutt", but I think that comment is funny and takes a lot of edge off. Now, his comments about Nancy Reagan. . .well THAT is for another time!