Friday, February 6, 2009

Power-Dressing is Back!

These guys are not models. They are Michael Gardner and Bill Brewer, hiring partner and co-founder at Bickel & Brewer, the law firm featured in the Wall Street Journal's, "Inside a Bastion of Old-School Power Attire."

Power Dressing

The return of old-school power dressing is something of a "duh" moment for Bill Brewer, co-founder and managing partner of the law firm, which has offices in Dallas and New York City. He never really got the appeal of khakis and rubber-soled Gucci loafers at the office. He prides himself on custom three-button suits with a center vent and shirts from Bruce Clark in New York. His voice tightens with disdain when he describes "those square-toed club shoes" that some young recruits wear to the office.

"I think people expect high-powered lawyers to look like high-powered lawyers," Mr. Brewer says. "Anything else is sending the wrong signal."
This is a great article.

I noted the other day that when I first started teaching at Long Beach City College I wore a coat and tie every day, and some days I wore a blue pin-striped suit. For various reasons I'm dressing much more casual now (mostly it's because I'm heavier, I need a new wardrobe, and my mood has been somewhat out of it), but when the time is right, I'm going to get all decked out again for lectures. There's just nothing that compares to feeling like a million bucks teaching in a crisp ensemble with a pair of spit-and-polish cap-toe oxfords (my dad wore Brooks Brothers and Cable Car suits when I was a kid, so there's some family history there).

In any case, Christina Binkley, the author of the article, also has
an interesting blog post on Bickel & Brewer, and parents should be sharing this passage with their kids:

We’re not all litigators, but many of us in public or client-facing jobs communicate our professional roles through our clothes. Research once showed that Dan Rather’s evening newscast was deemed more trustworthy when he wore a sweater or sweater vest. I was dismayed several years ago when the orthopedic surgeon treating my son was wearing shorts under his white smock. He might have been being practical — dressing both for work and his after-work hike? — but I wondered how focused he was on his work that day.

In recent years, workplaces have transformed themselves to take employees’ lifestyles into consideration. Casual dress codes are comfy and it’s nice to have a sense of ease in our increasingly hectic, demanding world. I’m writing this in blue jeans and a black turtleneck. Still, it can be comforting, when hiring a lawyer, doctor, accountant and other professionals, to not be introduced to their lifestyle. Sometimes, we only want to see their game face.

10 comments:

Red, White, and Blue Patriot said...

I don't know about you but people need to look profession in the work place. I don't want a lawyer in a polo or a police officer in a T-shirt. Rules are the only thing keeping America from becoming an uncivilzed nation.

Anonymous said...

They look to me like they buy off-the-rack at Jonathan Reid. But, what do I know, I wear "whites" to work.

Gayle said...

They look sharp to me. :)

I agree that people should take more pride in their outward appearance, Donald, especially in the workplace, but anywhere out in public too. I'm still shocked when I see women dressed in pajama pants, flip-flops and wearing sponge rollers in their hair at the grocery store. I wouldn't answer my door that way. Every time I see a young man with his crotch at knee level I want to yank his pants up!

AmPowerBlog said...

Gayle: These are custom tailored suits, as noted at the article. Deranged baker abover here is just that, deranged.

I'm like you: I just shake my head at how folks dress nowadays, although I'll were a robe to answer the door if that's all I have on, LOL!

kreiz1 said...

I understand that most of us don't want a lawyer in a polo & jeans. But my honest reaction in seeing these guys is simple: as a client, I'm paying for it! Think the same thing everytime I walk into an office straight out of Architectural Digest. Let the client beware: they're funding the whole package (along with a fancy car somewhere in back).

Anonymous said...

So sue me, I prefer glen plaid when I dress, not over the top pinstripes.

I prefer subtle style to tackiness. These guys look like they're trying a little too hard.

AmPowerBlog said...

Hey Kreiz, thanks for joining in!

Anonymous said...

Great photo, I thought it was from the dazzling Eli Stone.

Anonymous said...

Despite my distaste for pinstripes, go Sox, Bill Brewer isn't such a bad sort after all.

Ottavio (Otto) Marasco said...

I've got some great power gear in the wardrobe, European suits, matching ties, you name it Donald, problem is, I need to shed 10kg's to get into them. ...

Off topic: It has been tough here in Australia, http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/world/la-fg-australia-fire9-2009feb09,0,5682283.story

Those wildfires' burned just 20 miles north of the home and we just learned that a work colleague lost his life trying to flee the inferno... As a California resident, I think you can relate to this...