Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Remembering Karen Carpenter

The Educated Shoprat has a great post tonight reminding us that today's another important "day the music died," in this case the loss of Karen Carpenter, February 4, 1983.

Shoprat writes:

I did not realize the magnitude of this tragedy until several years later when I began to realize just how incredibly talented this lady was.

Oh, I get sad thinking about how much I miss Karen Carpenter.

When "
Close To You" was on the charts in 1970 I was 9 years-old. I dreamed that she was singing about me, and that the angels would sprinkle golden starlight in my hair and girls would love me. I don't know if that's strange to say it, but that's how I felt. Over the next few years The Carpenters were playing regularly on the family turntable. When Karen Carpenter died, like Shoprat, the impact of the loss wasn't immediately apparent. But nowadays, when I hear their songs, I'm transported back to an age of innocence in my own life that few other sounds of music can do. Very few other vocalists - living or dead - leave me so rejoiced as does the beauty of Karen's vocals. My favorite today is "For All We Know," not just for the incredible, quiet wonder of Karen's voice - and the song's simple essence affirming that our lives are bound by love - but also because my wife selected the Carpenters to play at our wedding. It was a church wedding, and our minister was reluctant, but it ended up okay after all.

17 comments:

shoprat said...

She may well have been the greatest of the 20th Century.

Thanks for the link.

Jan said...

She was an incredibly talented woman, and I think Shoprat's tribute to her is lovely.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, Donald.

AmPowerBlog said...

Thank you, Shoprat! I wanted to blog about some music tonight in any case, so your reminder was perfect.

AmPowerBlog said...

You're welcome, Jan. Thanks for reading and commenting!

The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I grew up on 8 tracks in the car of The Carpenters, Ray Conniff Singers, John Denver, among a few others.

When I was in high school in the 80's, I bought every Carpenters album on audio cassette.

Her voice just sends me into orbit.

Donna B. said...

I wasn't a fan, but I did admire the smoky and sultry voice she had. I've just been too long immune to sugary lyrics and felt her talent was misused.

Yet, her death is so incredibly sad.

It's not that I didn't like her songs, just that they didn't emotionally move me... much like Frank Sinatra's never did. So yeah, I'm an unfeeling schmuck.

Average American said...

The carpenters pumped out some beautiful music, that is for sure. I remember seeing them live on some TV show or other, fantastic! You could just feel the love.

AmPowerBlog said...

"Her voice just sends me into orbit."

I'm up there with you, Wordsmith.

AmPowerBlog said...

It's okay, Donna ... remember I was a 9 year-old boy when "Close to You" was a hit, so I don't think I was too worried about "sugary lyrics."

Thanks for visiting.

AmPowerBlog said...

AA: Those were the days, weren't they?

Law and Order Teacher said...

I immensely enjoy love songs. Karen C. was the best of her time. She well could have become the female Sinatra, her music would be timeless. Thanks for the heads-up.

AmPowerBlog said...

Thank you, LOT!

Anonymous said...

My sister-in-law went to school with her at Downey High. She had the voice of an angel.

AmPowerBlog said...

She did, Raul! Thanks!

kreiz1 said...

Amazingly the Carpenters were drawn into America's culture war- dubbed Dick Nixon's favorite group. Their squeaky clean image contrasted with rock's bad-boy rebelliousness. Don't think it was a role they actively sought.

Though their music was wildly popular, they're underrated and ignored in rock history.

shoprat said...

Kriez1 You are correct. She doesn't get the respect she deserves mostly because she, for the most part, kept her opinions and her private life to herself. If she had been rabidly and vocally anti-war-in-Vietnam Rolling Stone would have ranked her MUCH HIGHER than the absolutely inexcusable 93rd in the 100 top singers of the 20th Century. I guess their only regret is that they couldn't completely lock her out.

Music Is Life. said...

Great post; thanks. You might be interested in my review of "A Song For You."

http://youmusthearthisalbum.blogspot.com/