Monday, September 12, 2011

Turning Conservative After September 11, 2001

I've mentioned it a few times in the past. It was actually the left's reaction to the Bush administration and the Iraq war that made me realize I was conservative. In fact, I realized it on the morning of March 19th, 2003, when I spoke at a campus panel on the war. I didn't feel at home. I was surrounded by bloodthirsty leftists, students and professors, who looked like they had vengeance in their eyes. I went home that night and had dinner with my family, and I remember President Bush coming on the air to announce that combat operations had begun in Iraq. My political beliefs have never been the same. I voted for Al Gore in 2000. I still thought the Democratic Party was the party of Truman and Kennedy. How naive I must have been. But my vision has become clearer every year since then.

Photobucket

The annual debate over the September 11th attacks always reminds me of my political transformation. By now it's safe to say that 9/11 and the Iraq war have merged in my consciousness, although it wasn't always so. It took me a couple of years to understand the partisan divide in America, that one side stands for old-time values, love of country, individualism and sacrifice. The other side stands for ideological intolerance, anti-Americanism, and appeasement toward the forces of evil in the world. It's a stark difference that took stark historical events to congeal for me personally.

I'm reminded of this by some of the comments at my post from yesterday, "Progressives Shame the Country on the 10th Anniversary of 9/11." I wrote at the conclusion there: "For many people like myself, that's why they became conservative." And my good friend Kenneth Davenport dropped by to comment, responding in particular to my conclusion:
I haven't thought about it in this way before, but I've certainly become more conservative in response to the painful nihilism that regularly comes from the left. I live in a different world than they do, and there really are no areas of common ground. That's the truth. They see America as a flawed nation which should apologize for itself at every turn and which deserved the attacks of 9/11. And I see America as the last best hope of earth, a place of unbounded fairness and generosity, forged in the belief that the individual -- and not government -- is sovereign. There is no reconciling these two different belief systems. So I don't try. Instead, I surround myself with good people who share my values and who give thanks every day that there are those who are willing to sacrifice everything for our survival as a nation.
That's so well-said, and reaffirming. And Ken's posted a photo-essay from yesterday as well, where he demonstrates his love of country and appreciation of sacrifice: "9/11 on the USS Midway."

Now remember that it was Paul Krugman who got me going yesterday, and it turns out Glenn Reynolds received a load of comments about that. See, "EVERYBODY’S ANGRY, to judge from my email, about Paul Krugman’s typo-burdened 9/11 screed":
Don’t be angry. Understand it for what it is, an admission of impotence from a sad and irrelevant little man. Things haven’t gone the way he wanted lately, his messiah has feet of clay — hell, forget the “feet” part, the clay goes at least waist-high — and it seems likely he’ll have even less reason to like the coming decade than the last, and he’ll certainly have even less influence than he’s had. Thus, he tries to piss all over the people he’s always hated and envied. No surprise there. But no importance, either. You’ll see more and worse from Krugman and his ilk as the left nationally undergoes the kind of crackup it’s already experiencing in Wisconsin. They thought Barack Obama was going to bring back the glory days of liberal hegemony in politics, but it turned out he was their Ghost Dance, their Bear Shirt, a mystically believed-in totem that lacked the power to reverse their onrushing decline, no matter what the shamans claimed.
I'm not angry, as much as continually shocked at the brazen progressive hatred. It forces me to look inward, to my values and beliefs, and to history and national purpose. But sticking with the theme here, recall the essay from Cinnamon Stillwell in 2005, "The Making of a 9/11 Republican":
I was raised in liberal Marin County, and my first name (which garners more comments than anything else) is a direct product of the hippie generation. Growing up, I bought into the prevailing liberal wisdom of my surroundings because I didn't know anything else. I wrote off all Republicans as ignorant, intolerant yahoos. It didn't matter that I knew none personally; it was simply de rigueur to look down on such people. The fact that I was being a bigot never occurred to me, because I was certain that I inhabited the moral high ground.

Having been indoctrinated in the postcolonialist, self-loathing school of multiculturalism, I thought America was the root of all evil in the world. Its democratic form of government and capitalist economic system was nothing more than a machine in which citizens were forced to be cogs. I put aside the nagging question of why so many people all over the world risk their lives to come to the United States. Freedom of speech, religious freedom, women's rights, gay rights (yes, even without same-sex marriage), social and economic mobility, relative racial harmony and democracy itself were all taken for granted in my narrow, insulated world view.

So, what happened to change all that? In a nutshell, 9/11. The terrorist attacks on this country were not only an act of war but also a crime against humanity. It seemed glaringly obvious to me at the time, and it still does today. But the reaction of my former comrades on the left bespoke a different perspective. The day after the attacks, I dragged myself into work, still in a state of shock, and the first thing I heard was one of my co-workers bellowing triumphantly, "Bush got his war!" There was little sympathy for the victims of this horrific attack, only an irrational hatred for their own country.

As I spent months grieving the losses, others around me wrapped themselves in the comfortable shell of cynicism and acted as if nothing had changed. I soon began to recognize in them an inability to view America or its people as victims, born of years of indoctrination in which we were always presented as the bad guys.

Never mind that every country in the world acts in its own self-interest, forms alliances with unsavory countries -- some of which change later -- and are forced to act militarily at times. America was singled out as the sole guilty party on the globe. I, on the other hand, for the first time in my life, had come to truly appreciate my country and all that it encompassed, as well as the bravery and sacrifices of those who fight to protect it.

Thoroughly disgusted by the behavior of those on the left, I began to look elsewhere for support. To my astonishment, I found that the only voices that seemed to me to be intellectually and morally honest were on the right. Suddenly, I was listening to conservative talk-show hosts on the radio and reading conservative columnists, and they were making sense. When I actually met conservatives, I discovered that they did not at all embody the stereotypes with which I'd been inculcated as a liberal.
PROTO CREDIT: "Faith, Freedom, and Memory: Report From Ground Zero, September 11, 2010."

13 comments:

Dennis said...

I wonder if anyone has done a study on the large number of us who have moved away from what is called Liberalism and the so called Democrat party in the last 20 years to become Conservatives. It would be interesting.
I have to admit I like what Krugman, et al do because the more people they alienate the more they lose. What was it Woodrow Wilson said, "Don't stop a murder from committing suicide." (SIC) It fits most of the Progressive Left/Democrat party.
It is why I have to laugh when some of your commenter's screeds are full of invective, name calling, pejoratives and "four letter words." Nothing demonstrates more about the lack that exists on the Left and also grows like a cancer in the Democrat party.

Sarge Charlie said...

Welcome home Donald, you voted for Gore, I hate to admit that I voted for Jimmy Carter.........

Barbara said...

Glad you came into the light.Better late than never.
American Freedom by Barbara, Barbara Espinosa

Jason Pappas said...

Americans are problem-solvers. We see a problem, and with our characteristic optimism, we want reforms. As we work on solving our societal problems, we work along others who we assume are reformers in good faith.

Sometimes there’s an event that separates those of us who normally complain as we try to fine-tune a great nation and those who complain because they see America, if not essentially evil, certainly far down the road to evil.

The jihadi attacks of September 11th separated the two camps. Pro-western leftists noticed the great divide between them and the nihilist self-loathing America-hating left. Oriana Fallaci, Christopher Hitchens, Dell Miller, Paul Berman and others rallied to the defense of the West.

But Donald, it wasn’t only on the left. Many of us on the libertarian-leaning right were equally shocked by the Lew Rockwells, Ron Pauls, and the crowd over at the Von Mises Institute. I could throw in the paleo-cons, too, but I was never one of them. The anti-American right saw America as having lost all her virtues. They agreed with the nihilistic left, even though their ideal world would be different. They shared a common vile ... well what else can I call it ... hate.

I always suspected something missing among these America-hating libertarians but I and many others were shocked and disgusted after 9/11. You're not alone in your awakening. And we're not alone in renewing our patriotism in the face of this barbaric enemy.

Kenneth Davenport said...

Donald -- thanks for the link and posting my comment. Keep up the great work -- we must not give in to these forces of darkness!

AmPowerBlog said...

Actually, most conservatives I talk to at one time were liberals or Democrats. I think folks who've made the transition have an even better idea of the challenge from progressivism than those who've always been conservative.

AmPowerBlog said...

Thanks for commenting, Charlie. It makes me happy.

AmPowerBlog said...

Hi Barbara! Oh, it's been 8 years now, so I'm pretty firmly entrenched on the right side, LOL!

Mr. Mcgranor said...

Must one like the global bankers and their economy, if we oppose the terrorists?

Dennis said...

Sarge Charlie, boy can I relate. I voted for Jimmy Carter. Ever since that time I have been suspicious of any democrat the "media" likes.

Bob Belvedere said...

-I didn't know you back in 2003 Donald, but I'll say to you what I would have said then: Welcome home; come on in, the water's fine.

-FYI: You had so many fine posts about 09/11 that I linked them all via a search at:
September 11th: Look Back In Anger

AmPowerBlog said...

I was in high school when Carter was in office. I remember gas rationing and the Iranian hostage crisis, not the best things for a president to be remembered by.

Maggie Thornton said...

Our Country is better for your conversion Donald, because you are in the class room everyday, opening the minds of our youngsters. I am grateful for that. I grew up in a home with a Republican Father and Democrat Mother. Politics were never discussed. I've always been Conservative, but can't tell you why. Same with both of my younger brothers. We've talked about how this happened because none of us ever had a political conversation when we were young or as young adults. Maybe it was because our Dad owned his own business, and was very, very responsible and very thrifty. I don't know. Linked at my place.

Maggie@MaggiesNotebook
http://maggiesnotebook.com