Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Furor Over Paul Krugman's 9/11 Blog Post

From the letters to the editors, at New York Times:
To the Editor:

Re “The Years of Shame” (“The Conscience of a Liberal” blog, The New York Times on the Web, Sept. 11):

Paul Krugman writes, “The memory of 9/11 has been irrevocably poisoned; it has become an occasion for shame.” I disagree.

I feel no shame about my personal recollections and commemorations of 9/11. My memories of the day have not faded; I recall what I saw with my own eyes in Lower Manhattan. I do not believe that our political system was irrevocably poisoned, or that it is a day of shame.

I remain grateful for the words of comfort that President George W. Bush and Mayor Rudolph W. Giuliani provided the nation in the aftermath.

I find no shame in the pursuit of justice since then by two presidential administrations. I may not agree with every policy decision taken since, but American society is sound and our recollections have not been hijacked.

I urge Mr. Krugman to appreciate moments of great leadership, regardless of the leader’s political affiliation.

MICHAEL METS
Glendale, Queens, Sept. 11, 2011
There are two more letters at that link.

James Taranto has commentary, "History's Smallest Monster." And Michelle felt obligated to respond: "A few more words about Koward Krugman."

And at Mediaite, "Megyn Kelly Hosts Fiery Debate Over Paul Krugman’s ‘Years Of Shame’ 9/11 Column." (Click through to watch. Megyn interviews Medea Benjamin, who is completely down with Krugman's desecration, naturally.)

Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld cancelled his subscription to the Times in protest: "Donald Rumsfeld cancels New York Times subscription." And "Rumsfeld Decides to “Go Timesless”."

Paul Krugman responded to the criticism (doubled-down), "More About the 9/11 Anniversary."

1 comments:

Jason Pappas said...

Krugman is demented ... he's morphed into Michael Moore!

The major Democrats in the Senate back our policy in Afghanistan and Iraq up until Howard Dean appeared. While some of us may question if our policy was always wise and prudent, no one in good faith can question that our policy was honorable.

In my gut I always knew Krugman was vile ... now he's given us evidence.