Monday, August 16, 2010

FDA Death Panels

Doug Ross has the news, "Berwick's First Strike: Susan G. Komen Foundation and Ovarian Cancer Alliance Decry First-Ever Medicare Denials of FDA-Approved Cancer Drugs."

Ann Althouse asks if these are "
death panels"? And the response:
If Avastin is what stands between you and death, then yes, "Death Panel" is an "appropriate statement" and yes, it is appropriate to cause alarm.

Full disclosure. I have advanced ovarian cancer. Hello friends and relatives.

The statistics for my stage of ovarian cancer (Stage IIIc) project an 18% survival rate two years after diagnosis.

I took part in a clinical trial for Avastin. My provider recently revealed to me that I received the test drug.

I am approaching that two-year mark of initial diagnosis, and so far, I am doing well. I attribute that good result to Avastin, which prevents the regeneration of cancer cells. Yeah, I had some lousy side effects, but it seems to have worked.

Thank you, and good night, Irene.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Your post is not correct. Do some research. The drug was just approved by the FDC on April. Medicare providers are trying to figure out guidelines for coverage. But the drug will be covered. Stop the scare tactics.

tapline said...

My government health insurance hasn't stopped doing specific tests for prostrate cancer, but because of my age I had a discussion with my doctor an was informed that at my age they weigh my age against surgery. He stated I probably would die from other causes before I died of cancer, sooooooo, I guess that answers the question for me doesn't it.........STAY WELL

AmPowerBlog said...

Matt:

Check this link, from Aug. 13: 'Susan G. Komen for the Cure and Ovarian Cancer National Alliance Appeal to FDA and Key Lawmakers on Avastin Issue'.

And according to Ovarian Cancer National Alliance:

"Provenge, a vaccine to treat the recurrence of prostate cancer, has been approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The vaccine is made from a patient’s own blood cells with cancer cells and an immune boosting substance. A three dose course of the immunotherapy is estimated to cost $93,000. According to the company producing the vaccine, that equals $23,000 per added month of life.

Medicare usually covers the cost of FDA-approved anti-cancer therapies. However, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) is still reviewing whether it will cover Provenge, and at what rate."


Follow the links at the post. I hope this clears up your confusion.