Saturday, May 3, 2008

But I Have No Fear...

My commenter Winfred suggested I might like the Rolling Stones', "'Shine a Light' in IMAX" (in response to my recent post, "More Light ... Sun, Sun, Sun, Here it Comes!").

I haven't checked out a Stones' IMAX, although I searched around for a good rendition of "Angie" with which to put up a post.

I'm holding off on "Angie" for now, but in the meantime please enjoy The Clash, "
London Calling":


I mentioned in my first "lightening up" post that I was a big skateboarder in my late-teens and early-twenties, and also that I spent a lot of time up in L.A. hitting the rock concert circuit.

I'll comment more about that history in upcoming posts, although I can say now that over a period of about three years I saw literally hundreds of live gigs, including bands from the Damned to the Dead Kennedys, the Exploited to the English Beat, the Ramones to Roxy Music, and from Stevie Nicks to the Stray Cats.

I never did make it to a live show with
The Clash, and although they toured in L.A. during this time, something else was going simultaneously (another concert, I think), competing for my attention.

In later years, I regretted missing the band more acutely when I learned of
Joe Strummer's death in 2002. He passed before his time, though he'll be remembered as one of the greats.

Lyrics are here, and in part below:
London calling to the faraway towns
Now war is declared - and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard,you boys and girls
London calling, now don't look at us
All that phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust
London calling, see we ain't got no swing
'Cept for the REIGN of that truncheon thing

CHORUS
The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
Meltdown expected, the wheat is growing thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear
Cause London is drowning - I, I live by the river

London calling to the imitation zone
Forget it, brother, you can go at it alone
London calling upon the zombies of death
Quit holding out - and draw another breath
London calling - and I don't wanna shout
But while we were talking I saw you running out
London calling, see we ain't got no HIGH
Except for that one with the yellowy eyes

CHORUS x2
The ice age is coming, the sun is zooming in
Engines stop running and the wheat is growing thin
A nuclear ERROR, but I have no fear
Cause London is drowning - I, I live by the river
More later dear readers! Keep it light!!

0 comments: