Thursday, February 18, 2010

Karen Allow and Baby LuLu

I suggested yesterday that folks should be following Karen Alloy. I think she's extremely talented, and beautiful as well. She's kinda crazy too, for example, in posting photos of her derriere to Twitpics. I did not notice, however, that she'd also posted a picture of her baby breastfeeding. A commenter posted a heads up at my post. And that was followed by a response from my good friend Opus #6, who says, "Get your minds out of the gutter!"

Actually, don't know where the gutter thing comes from, but apparently Karen Allow, who is unmarried, has gotten
a lot of flak from people about single parenthood:
I have found myself in a very profound life-changing situation this year.

As a divorced mother of two, facing single parenthood with a newborn baby has never frightened me. If anything, it encouraged me to hold my head up high and work harder.

There still seems to be this icky stigma about single parents that I’m getting from my online world. And it’s manifested into a burning curiosity to know more about her father to the point of demanding and pushing the issue on every video I post.

I owe no explanation. My Soul is and will continue to remain intact. The only person I owe anything to is LuLu and that time will come soon enough… Trust me.
I think Karen's a good mom. And I don't know if she has plans to marry or will stay single to raise her family. I think marriage is best for a family, and I know Karen's on the market. So it's going to be alright. And while I doubt that I'd have posted pictures like that to Twitpic (of my booty or my baby nursing), I think she's right to tell her idiot critics to STFU.

Anyway, note to readers: It's a brave new world online. I'm going to be writing about it, with all the fleshy and messy contradictions and outrage. It's what I do. Read my blog if you want, but the same folks who say "get your mind out of the gutter" are probably not so thrilled that Karen Alloy's a single mom. (And note that Opus is "a single mother of 6 kids ages 21 years to 2 years," which is both awesome and interesting, given the context). I love all of my women visitors, like
MacGinn and Opus #6. But guys and dolls blog differently. Sometimes it's best to go with the flow.

And with that, folks should head over to Theo Spark's!

4 comments:

Grizzly Mama said...

I don't think that she's catching flak for being a single parent so much as for posting pictures of her ass and tits all over the interwebs!

Rusty Walker said...

Let me encourage you, Dr. in this regard: You are like many of us men out here that love women, admire women.
RE: "posted pictures like that to Twitpic (of my booty or my baby nursing), I think she's right to tell her idiot critics to STFU."
The posts were fine. She is obviously an evolved 21st Century woman that has left the judgmental shame and guilt from others behind her. I think to deny that a lovely new mother breast feeding isn't sexy is a denial of male instincts (it isn’t base for men to admire women’s body’s), or that she shouldn't show her lovely derriere, is so much hogwash. The gutter is not necessarily where the mind is when respectfully admiring a woman's sexuality from afar. Lighten up good people. Good post, Dr. Douglas.

kreiz1 said...

Karen's the bomb. And she's hysterical. End of story.

repsac3 said...

I'm fine with women exploiting themselves (or not exploiting themselves, for that matter). Having that choice is what freedom's all about, and I applaud her for telling her critics to STFU, whether it be about the photos of herself she chooses to post, or the make-up of her family. I feel the same way about her pix critics as I did about Meghan McCain's "boob" pic critics from aways back, and the same about her moral (& legal) right to be a single mom as I do about gay folks and their marital/family situations.

I'm all for less holier-than-thou criticism of people who don't live their lives exactly as you believe they should, and more live and let live.