Friday, January 1, 2010

Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek Live in Marina del Rey

I noticed this the other day, but didn't get a chance to post on it until now (partly for forgetting, partly for procrastination). From Wednesday's Los Angeles Times "Calendar" section:

Robby Krieger and Ray Manzarek - Former guitarist for the Doors Robby Krieger's fret-burning skills will be on display once again at the Waterfront, where he'll be joined by Doors keyboardist Ray Manzarek plus an all-star band for an evening of Doors classics and more. Waterfront Concert Theater, 4211 Admiralty Way, Marina del Rey. 9 p.m. $10. (310) 448-8900. http://www.thewfr.com/.

Can you believe that? If you're a big Doors fan, Wednesday night's gig would have been pretty heavenly. I love their music, of course. But I was still very young when Jim Morrison's gang hit the big time. I have an interesting anecdote, however: Mr. Courson, my principal at Cerro Villa Junior High in the 1970s, is father to the late Pamela Courson, Jim Morrison's partner at the high-tide of the Doors' fame. Pam Courson died of a drug overdose a year or so after Morrison died. She's buried at Fairhaven Memorial Park, in Santa Ana, which is where I plan to be buried myself (just a few miles from where I went high school, in Orange, California). Check her Wikipedia information for more details. This is strangely a common memory for me when listening to the Doors' music.

Which reminds me, Los Angeles is the best place in the world for music and concert-goers. Much of the greatest music is created here, and bands come from around the world to play in Southern California. And still today, many of the great musicians from earlier eras continue to play live around town. Plus, "Touch Me" is a sentimental favorite for both girlfriend reasons and the saxophone. (Robby Kreiger's got a black eye at the clip, apparently from getting popped by Morrison in a fight. He refused to wear makeup for his performances, and this one's caught live)

I haven't forgotten about Kreiz's Smashing Pumpkins request, either, if any of my readers are keeping tabs!

(Added Aside: I found
Kristina's blog while looking up the Krieger listing. She apparently just saw X in concert a couple of weeks ago, and was astounded how she was able to see Exene, John Doe and gang 30 years after their big heyday. Another example of the power and wonder of music, and Kristina's a leftist!)

2 comments:

Reaganite Republican said...

They haven't gone too far from Venice Beach 40 yrs ago, eh- I used to live down there on Rose, they named his old flophouse apt. building "The Morrison" and put a plaque on it.

And I ran across Manzarek at work in Santa Monica once, nice guy.

AmPowerBlog said...

Well, then you know what I'm talking about Reaganite! Thanks for commenting!