Sunday, January 3, 2010

STORMBRINGER: 'We Shall Never Surrender'

I don't mention it too often, but blogging's often a thankless job. Although never a chore for me, with so many outstanding bloggers out there, it's hard to stick out from the pack sometimes. Gaining significant traffic is a full-time job, and as I've noted recently, the opportunity costs can be felt elsewhere, including the waistline! Thus recognition, when it comes, is worth reciprocating.

I am increasingly strengthened and sustained by the people I meet online. Folks from the blogging world, and the tea party movement, are some of the country's best. But I have to admit that when active duty and retired military personnel salute my work, it's supremely gratifying, and I'm deeply honored. One of my favorite posts from last year is the letter from Major Steven Givler (pictured here), published by permission, at "On Defending the Constitution: A Reader Writes." Major Givler wrote that:

Every once in a while something encourages me to believe that there are still Americans who understand what makes us different from other nations, and who are willing to preserve that difference. Your blog ... is one of those things.
Well, it turns out that I've gotten another nice salutation today, from Sean Linnane, a retired Special Forces career NCO who blogs at Stormbringer. His post is titled, "... WE SHALL NEVER SURRENDER !" And he writes:
The United States of America is the greatest nation in the entire history of the World. We are a Beacon of Hope and Freedom to untold millions, billions. We have the support of our honorable Allies, throughout the family of civilized, free nations. To date, we are the single nation capable of planting its flag on another Heavenly body.

Are we to believe that we cannot prevail against a movement of illiterates, led by a nihilist, inspired by a creed straight out of the Dark Ages?
Sean then quotes Winston Churchill's "We shall fight on the beaches" speech, delivered to the House of Commons, June 4th, 1940.

I've never served in uniform. Sometimes now I wish I would have. But as I've written here many times, I was raised with a deep appreciation of the sacrifice and valor of those in the Armed Forces, and I've never taken a day for granted as one secured in liberty by those who have taken up arms, as well as those who've served in peacetime. My work as a professor, an activist, and of course my life as a traditional family man, aligns me in the preservation of those values secured by our troops. I think that's why I hear from folks in the service, active and retired, with a few nice words of gratitude for standing up for the good and just in this country and the world.

Thank you for your service, Sean.

P.S. It guess it's no coincidence that I'm a watching a New Year's broadcast of HBO's "Band of Brothers" right now. My academic work has always been informed by a deep appreciation of history and driven by a sense of American exceptionalism:
Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon the Great Crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty-loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers-in-arms on other Fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world ....

Good Luck ! And let us beseech the blessing of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking. -- Gen. Dwight Eisenhower (6 June 1944).
ADDED: My friend Law and Order Teacher has more thoughts at his update, "WAR."

3 comments:

Diamond Mair said...

Check out this video: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xbqhl8_america-rising-an-open-letter-to-de_news

Semper Fi'
DM

Law and Order Teacher said...

Dr.D,
I would also add the following speech from the Band of Brothers speech. In other words, the other side. Check my site.

TonyfromOz said...

Having served for more than 25 years in the military myself, in the Royal Australian Air Force here in Australia, I also appreciate the values that you express at your site.
With respect to the TV Miniseries 'Band Of Brothers', it has also just finished running here in Australia. It's only the second time it has been shown here, so it was well worth watching again. The main reason for this second broadcast is as a promotion for the complementary series 'Pacific' due to air in March both here, and in the US.
Done by the same HBO team who brought us 'Band Of Bothers', this one concentrates on the Pacific theatre of conflict while Brothers was centred in Europe.
This new series was filmed almost completely here in Australia, using the rain forests of North Queensland for the 'tropical' filming and other areas of Australia for the other scenes. Also scheduled for ten 100 minute parts, I mainly look forward to the interviews with the actual guys as in 'Band Of Brothers'.