Monday, January 11, 2010

Thanks From a Student

Classes started today. So I thought I'd share a wonderful e-mail I received from a student who took my class last semester, by permission:
Hello Dr. Douglas,

I just wanted to thank you for posting my grade. I honestly thought it would be much worse. As you may have noticed, I hate politics, hence the reason it took me 2 semesters to get through your class. That being said, you should know that I did, however enjoy your class enough to stick it out through to the end and I don’t regret it. I did learn a lot from you because I enjoyed the way you taught it. I can tell you are more than 100% into what you do and I appreciate that. You are a great teacher and I’m sure you appreciate having students who go on to become involved with politics. I’m sorry I’m NOT one. I have theatre in my blood and that’s a far cry off. I want to wish you good luck through the new year and many more to come
.
It's one of the nicest rewards of teaching, to hear back with words of appreciation.

I'm enjoying my office in the new building as well. See, "
South Quad Complex Opens at Long Beach City College."

The college has a ribbon-cutting celebration scheduled for Friday, January 22, at 10:00am. I hope to see you there!

4 comments:

Government Mess said...

You have been linked sir...

http://governmentmess.blogspot.com/2010/01/conservative-blogosphere-shout-out-top.html

Grizzly Mama said...

Great letter and thanks for sharing it with us. I think politics is one of the best games in town to watch! lol. I can't understand how a person couldn't be into it, except that I remember when I was younger I felt the same way as your student. My husband is a political junkie, and his interest in it is what sparked mine.

Congrats on the new office!

Rusty Walker said...

This is what it is all about, Donald! I had jsut now posted this on my Facebook: Gee, sometimes I wonder whether a profession (in my case, art) or teaching, offers a more morally valued legacy. Another one of my students (1989) just contacted me. He went on to become a Fox Animator: “Well, you have really been a blessing in my life.” Here is his site: www.AnimatorKel.com.

Kenneth Davenport said...

Donald -- I got a few emails like this one after the last semester concluded at CSU. One said something along the lines of "I can't say I enjoyed the class exactly, but I learned a lot and didn't dread coming to class every week". Hey, I take that as a compliment!

Keep up the great work -- and by the way, I'm out on a limb predicting Brown beats Coakley on January 19!