Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Erin Andrews Confronts Peephole Stalker in Court

At the New York Daily News, "ESPN beauty Erin Andrews wants maximum sentence for her convicted stalker Michael Barrett":

Sportscasting siren Erin Andrews faced her convicted stalker in court for the first time and pleaded with a judge to show him no mercy.

The ESPN beauty broke down in tears Tuesday when she first spotted peephole perv Michael Barrett.

Minutes later, the Illinois insurance executive stood before a federal judge and admitted he hunted Andrews down at hotels in three cities and shot naked videos that he posted online.

"I am a victim of this sexual predator. I would like to see him immediately put in prison for as long as possible," Andrews, 31, told the judge.

She said she fears for her safety as long as he's free.

"I have nightmares," she told the court.

"I walk in crowds and I see him in my peripheral vision. When I'm alone in my house, I have fears that he's going to walk inside and hurt me.

"I don't know him. I've never met him. I don't know why he chose me. But I hope he never sees the light of day again."

Barrett, 48, faces up to five years in prison when he's sentenced Feb. 22. His plea agreement recommends about two years. Andrews wants the maximum.

"My career has been ripped apart, which I've worked very hard for," she told Judge Manuel Real.

"I am subjected to crude comments and suggestions that I have partnered in a crime," she continued. "I walk into stadiums, and fans say obscene things to me."

Barrett avoided eye contact with Andrews and pleaded guilty to one felony count of stalking.

He admitted he secretly rigged peepholes at hotels in Ohio, Tennessee and Wisconsin in 2008 and secretly shot the videos.

Andrews said outside court that she's coping by throwing herself back into work.

She said she puts on her broadcast headphones and blocks out everything but the football game she's covering.

"Day by day, it's getting better," Andrews said.
My previous coverage of the Andrews case is here.

0 comments: