Friday, April 15, 2011

Los Angeles Times Disses 'Atlas Shrugged'

Well, I can't say one way or the other until I see it. And I won't see it until tomorrow, since it's playing in L.A., and I'll be doing tea party coverage today. So take LAT's review FWIW from a leftist outlet, "Movie review: 'Atlas Shrugged': Ayn Rand's opus of unfettered capitalism gets a flat screen treatment."

Meanwhile, you know Roger Ebert's gonna hate it, but read it just for the glimpse into the anti-individualist worldview:
So OK. Let’s say you know the novel, you agree with Ayn Rand, you’re an objectivist or a libertarian, and you’ve been waiting eagerly for this movie. Man, are you going to get a letdown. It’s not enough that a movie agree with you, in however an incoherent and murky fashion. It would help if it were like, you know, entertaining?
(Via Memeorandum.) And others aren't holding off until they see it to weigh in negatively. That said, Kurt Loder did see it and was unimpressed --- and he's writing at Reason.

More later ...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is not a simple book to put into a movie motif. You have to pay attention and THINK, while you are watching. Also, I keep trying to plug in actual real people into the rolls I see on the screen. This takes THINKING. As my wife says, "I am not watching a movie to think, or wonder about things, I just want a movie to entertain me, plus it must have a happy ending. Like Star Wars, and Secondhand Lions"
This book is not for escaping, it is there for you to think and apply it to YOUR LIFE. A movie has a hard time portraying that type of philosophy, epically Ayn Rands.
However, the book is a prophet's view of what has been going on in this nation and to this nation, since at least January 28, 1973 if not even earlier during the late 50's and for sure with a doubt from the disastrous 60's and beyond.
we will just have to buy ourselves a BIG, really BIG, tube of KY-Jelly, to help us along for the next 14 years. Heltau