Friday, May 15, 2009

And There Was Nothing Left to Bring Me Back...

I listen to L.A.'s Jack FM 93.1 during my drive time (there are no DJs, just recorded programming, plus the slogan, "playing what we want"). The format's a little stale sometimes. Yet I do like the "trainwreck" sequences, where two songs are played back-to-back in a sequence you'd never hear on traditional radio stations (e.g., Haircut 100's "Love Plus One" followed by ZZ Top's, "Tush", etc). In any case, once in while I'll hear The Plimsouls', "Million Miles Away," one of my favorite songs from my early punk days. Check it out:

More later ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw Peter Case at the 9:30 Club in DC probably in 86 or 87. He had a solo album out. One of the best concerts I've ever seen. Very small audience. After the set he came down off the stage and we all stood around him in a circle as he played an acoustic guitar and sang. Although he was probably disappointed that there wasn't a bigger crowd, from my perspective it was a perfect moment: an intimate, very real musical experience.

AmPowerBlog said...

Hi Phil:

Great story. On a similar note, I had a beer with Stevie Ray Vaughn after he sound-checked at L.A.' Cathay de Grand nightclub, in 1981, I think. My friend's band was playing on the same bill.

Never did see The Plimsouls. I'm envious!