Monday, May 4, 2009

In Defense of "Rule 5"

Did readers know that American Power is actually one of the key inspirations for Robert Stacy McCain's "Rule 5" blogging? Yep, it's true. In response to this photo of Natalie Portman, posted March 2008, Stacy suggested that "Donald Douglas of American Power is a blogger after my own heart..."

Well, things have been taking off for Stacy since then. A lot of that has to do with his embrace of unapologetic "babe blogging," which is, of course, embodied in "Rule 5" of "How to Get a Million Hits on Your Blog in Less Than a Year."

"Rule 4" of the program is "
make some enemies," and it turns out that said "unfriendlies" (friendly unfriendlies, actually) came out of the woodworks this weekend in response to Stacy's analysis of the Carrie Prejean breast implant story. Here's the post, with the key passage in defense of "Rule 5":
To assert that my Rule 5 blogging is sometimes indecorous is to state the obvious. Being indecorous is kind of the point. We live in a world constrained by political correctness, including the feminist insistence (backed by threat of federal lawsuit) that even the mildest workplace acknowledgement of a woman's beauty is vicious "harassment."

So it occurs to me that normal red-blooded guys might need some kind of "safe zone" exempt from this uptight neo-Victorianism. Out there in the cruel world, a guy could be professionally ruined if he were overheard to remark, "Hey, nice stems on that blonde." But here? Heh.
Read the whole thing, here (via Memeorandum). After laying out what's really ailing conservatives and the GOP (with a whole lot of asides), Stacy concludes:
Dear ladies, forgive me if my irreverent remarks about Carrie Prejean's fake boobies offended your delicate sensibilities. Please understand that years of youthful association with companions of low character have irretrievably corrupted me, rendering me permanently unfit for polite society.
Geez, I hope those hot shots of Bar Rafaeli don't get me in hot water with the ladies!

8 comments:

Cassandra said...

Donald, what on earth are you talking about?

I have never seen so many men work so hard to defeat a straw boob :)

The more you guys go on about boobs, the more evidence you provide that Stacy really *didn't* get the point. Which seems to be what got him in such a lather in the first place.

Sheesh.

AmPowerBlog said...

I'm kind of like Obama, when he asked, "Why Can't I Just Eat My Waffle?"

"Why can't I just post my boobies!?"

Cassandra said...

Who said you couldn't?

Or even shouldn't? Sorry, but I'm a bit confused here. We have a quote from Stacy saying I'm telling you not to post boobies.

Where did I say that?

[shaking head]

AmPowerBlog said...

Cassandra: I'm just joking around!

Like you said, it's not that big of a deal, and I take no one to task at the post. Both you and Joy are making excellent arguments, in fact.

The Vegas Art Guy said...

Wow it's been tough to stay abreast of the arguments with rule five hasn't it?

Jordan said...

RSC brought my blog into the light. He is the savior to my sin.

That and he has a lot of convos on boobs.

Both help.

Chris Wysocki said...

My wife saw my last Rule 5 post and said "you need help". I said "no, I need HITS!" She left the room.

Women, can't live with 'em. Can't shoot 'em.

Obi's Sister said...

Natalie is definitely a beautiful woman, even when she shaved her head for "V is for Vendetta."