Saturday, April 10, 2010

'Kosher Tax' Graffiti is Backdrop at S.F. 'Queers for Palestine' Protest

The full report's at Zombie's, "Q.U.I.T.'s Protest Against the 'Out in Israel' Film Festival."

The photo-essay covers the protest and counterprotest at San Francisco's
Roxie Theater. Check the link at Zombie and at Pajamas Media.

But what really caught my attention is this photo of neighborhood graffiti. Zombie explains:

Photobucket

Right around the corner from the Roxie, just steps from the protest, I noticed this casual bit of anti-Semitic graffiti on the window of a check-cashing business — unnoticed by all the protesters and counter-protesters. Someone had written the word “Jewish” on a roll of money pointing to the word “tax,” which is apparently either a reference to the old “Jews are money-grubbing” stereotype; or is a reference to the “Jewish Tax or “Kosher Tax,” an anti-Semitic conspiracy theory that has been voiced at earlier SF anti-Israel protests; or, more simply, is a way of identifying Jewish-owned businesses for the next Kristallnacht.
You can get your fill of anti-Semitic hatred right downtown, in San Francisco's Mission Distict (map). I wonder if any of these folks have worked up a Horst Wessel version of "I Left My Heart ..."

4 comments:

science fiction writer said...

It's acceptable when left-wing freaks commit hate crimes.

Unknown said...

Sadly I am not surprised

AmPowerBlog said...

Thanks for commenting, Rick!

AmPowerBlog said...

No, I'm not surprised either, Sammy!