Friday, December 17, 2010

Larry King Exit Marks End of Era

At London's Daily Mail, "The end of an era: Larry King signs off after 25 years of hosting his chat show on CNN."

I watched it. Larry King was humble and often emotional, and his guests truly love him. A genuine treat and throwback to the old days. I'll update later with some YouTube clips when they're available. I think there was a time when I'd make it a point to watch the first half hour of Larry King then switch over at 6:30pm for World News Tonight with Peter Jennings. Was that a better time? Perhaps. But I don't long for the old days of "non-partisan" news. I like the new media age. I think regular people are empowered like never before and the level and quality of information available nowadays is much better. That said, the nostalgia was overwhelming tonight. It felt like the Clinton years of the 1990s in a lot of respects. More later ...

Added: At WaPo, "With a star-studded guest list, 'Larry King Live' signs off for the last time" (via Memeorandum).

1 comments:

Greywolfe said...

My two biggest surprises were that A. He's still alive. And B. That he still had the same 15 viewers that he had 10 years ago.

On the plus side, what I remember from the few of his interviews that I forced myself to watch, he's a perfect cure for insomnia sans medication.

Although if you actually watched larry king more than three or four times in the last 5 years, you may indeed need some form of medication.