Monday, April 5, 2010

13 Year-Old Smashes 'Post-Colonialist Feminist Theory'!

You gotta love this!

Via
BCF, it turns on that Alaina Podmorow, from British Columbia's Okanagan Valley, has smacked down Canadian political scientist Melanie Butler, and her thesis, "Canadian Women and the (Re)Production of Women in Afghanistan." Notice Butler's canned post-modern attack on U.S./Canadian foreign policy:
In Canada as in the United States, government agencies have justified the military invasion of Afghanistan by revitalizing the oppressed Muslim woman as a medium through which narratives of East versus West are performed. While CW4WAfghan [Canadian Women for Women in Afghanistan] attempt to challenge dominant narratives of Afghan women, they ultimately reinforce and naturalize the Orientalist logic on which the War on Terror operates, even helping to disseminate it through the Canadian school system. Drawing on post-colonial feminist theory, this paper highlights the implications of CW4WAfghan’s Orientalist discourse on women’s rights, and tackles the difficult question of how feminists can show solidarity with Afghan women without adhering to the oppressive narratives that permeate today’s political climate.
Miss Podmorow's response is here, "A Very Young Activist's Reply":
... even though I don’t understand at all the words Orientalist or feminism theory, I do understand what this chunk means, and now I want to speak my truth.

I am the founder of Little Women for Little Women in Afghanistan. I founded this organization 3 years ago, when I was 9 years old. In the fall of 2006, I found out that the privileges that I have, other girls in our world don’t get. I learned about this when I went with my Mom to listen to journalist, author and human rights activist, Sally Armstrong speak about Afghanistan. She told stories about the terrible things that happen to little girls in Afghanistan. I was so moved. It was so upsetting to me that these girls weren’t able to exercise their rights. They were not able to go to school and sometimes they didn’t go to school because they were afraid they would be hurt or even killed ...

No one will ever tell me that Muslim women or any women think it’s ok to not be allowed to get educated or to have their daughters sold off at 8 years old or traded off at 4 years old because of cultural beliefs. No one will tell me that women in Afghanistan think it is ok for their daughters to have acid thrown in their faces. It makes me ill to think a 4 year old girl must sleep in a barn and get raped daily by old men. It’s sick and wrong and I don’t care who calls me an Orientalist or whatever I will keep raising money to educate girls and women in Afghanistan and I will keep writing letters and sending them in the back pack of my friend Lauryn Oates as she works so bravely on the ground helping women and girls learn what it is to exercise their rights. I believe in human rights so I believe everyone has the right their own opinion, I just wish that the energy that was used to write that story, that is just not true, could have been used to educate a girl in Afghanistan. That’s what the girls truly want. That’s what the Women in Afghanistan truly want. I have a drawer full of letters from them that says just that.
I wonder how my good friend Charli Carpenter and her friends at DOM and LGM feel about this? They really do like smart, precocious kids:


Don't bug 'em though, well, at least not until they get back from their upcoming conference on "Gendered Consequence of Violence and War on Women’s Health" (among other things).

2 comments:

Charli Carpenter said...

Hi Donald,

I think you have Laura and I mixed up. I wasn't anywhere near this women's health conference this weekend. Too busy jumping out of airplanes. How was your weekend? Hope you enjoyed the holiday.

Thanks for reposting the link to Adora's TED talk. She's pretty amazing, isn't she? I also appreciated reading Miss Podmorow's post. It's great to see young people getting involved in causes they feel strongly about, and I think most feminists would support activism to assist women and girls in Afghanistan. I'm glad to see these sorts of issues getting addressed on your excellent blog.

Cheers!

Your good friend,

Charli


P.S. I fear there's a typo in your post - I blog at Lawyers, Guns and Money, not Little Green Footballs.

AmPowerBlog said...

Charli: I know that was Laura, but you might say a little about little Alaina here ...