Sunday, March 7, 2010

'Alice in Wonderland'

I took my boys to see "Alice in Wonderland" yesterday. Kenneth Turan's review is here. We liked it. It's the first major studio production I've seen in 3D, and it worked for me, although I had strong reminiscences of Captain EO from the 1980s. So, not sure how far the technology's actually advanced. Still, the format is perfectly a piece with Tim Burton's oeuvre. Perhaps the acting was flat, and frankly, Elijah Wood could have played "Mat Hatter" without all the makeup. But it was enjoyable for me (anything with "good versus evil" catches my attention). Besides, my youngest boy started bugging me on Friday as soon as I picked him up from school. He loves the movies -- seriously, monumentally loves them -- and seeing it through the eyes of your children is worth more than all the theater art-critic reviews in the world. That said, check NYT, "What’s a Nice Girl Doing in This Hole?", WSJ, "'Alice': Half a Wonderland."

0 comments: