Sunday, March 14, 2010

Sun Streaking Cold - An Old Man Wandering Lonely...

From Ian Anderson, at the "Aqualung" entry at Wikipedia:
Aqualung wasn't a concept album, although a lot of people thought so. The idea came about from a photograph my wife at the time took of a tramp in London. I had feelings of guilt about the homeless, as well as fear and insecurity with people like that who seem a little scary. And I suppose all of that was combined with a slightly romanticized picture of the person who is homeless but yet a free spirit, who either won't or can't join in society's prescribed formats.

So from that photograph and those sentiments, I began writing the words to 'Aqualung.' I can remember sitting in a hotel room in L.A., working out the chord structure for the verses. It's quite a tortured tangle of chords, but it was meant to really drag you here and there and then set you down into the more gentle acoustic section of the song.

Sun streaking cold --
an old man wandering lonely.
Taking time
the only way he knows.
Leg hurting bad,
as he bends to pick a dog end
he goes down to the bog
and warms his feet.

Feeling alone --
the army's up the road
salvation a la mode and
a cup of tea.
Aqualung my friend --
don't you start away uneasy
you poor old sod, you see, it's only me.

Aqualung my friend --
don't you start away uneasy
you poor old sod, you see, it's only me. Whoa ...
Plus, see my good friend Anton's "Sunday Music – Sweet Is The Night."

Also, Pat at Political Byline has responded on the Jimi Hendrix controversy, "
Touchy...Touchy...Touchy..." And don't forget Theo Spark, as well as some new neocon hotness, American MAXIM.

Finally, Obi's Sister is celebrating a four-year blogiversary, "
Four Years Now and I’m Still Talkin’." Congratulations!

3 comments:

Obi's Sister said...

Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Yeah thanks.... :)

kreiz1 said...

JT was one of my first concert experiences in the Seventies (Alice Cooper was the first). Ian Anderson always had a solid business head- he owns successful fisheries, I think.