Saturday, February 12, 2011

Lincoln's Birthday

President Abraham Lincoln was born today, 202 years ago, February 12, 1809.

I imagine it's fitting, then, that I walked the Washington Mall yesterday morning, from Capitol Hill to Lincoln's Memorial. I think that's my favorite place to be in the whole United States. Perhaps I'd tire of it should I be living in D.C., but being here fills me with pride and historical grandeur. I'll have more sightseeing pictures later. I spent just a few minutes at the memorial, but it is indeed a temple:

Lincoln Memorial

I'll have more from the Mall after I'm home in the O.C.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I envy your location. Jimmy Stewart is my 1st cousin (3 generations removed) and I always loved watching Mr Smith, esp. the shots of DC in the beginning.

Thanks for your post.