Friday, December 11, 2009

Plus-Sized Beauties to Grace Covers at V Magazine

Readers might recall my blog entry from September, where I took issue with Lady Gaga in blackface. Gaga was on the cover of V Magazine, "Gaga Over Gaga." Well, maybe the editors are changing their tune a little, going for some political correctness in the January issue. From the New York Post, "Heavy Changes for V Covers":

V magazine is trying to make a big splash. The fashion glossy is moving away from skinny recent cover girls like Natalie Portman and Aussie model Miranda Kerr and switching to plus-size models in its January issue. "Big, little, pint-size, plus-size -- every body is beautiful. And this issue is out to prove it," editor-in-chief Stephen Gan says. Among the beauties V shot is "Hungry" memoirist and plus-size model Crystal Renn. We hear other shoots will range from fully dressed to nude and be done by Terry Richardson, Bruce Weber and Karl Lagerfeld.
The Natalie Portman piece is here, "Natalie or Nothing." Let's hope some of the skinnier actresses still grace the pages of the V.

2 comments:

Nikki said...

I am definitely a plus size model and think this woman is gorgeous and pretty thin. I hate the skinny boned type women who have to enhance artificially because they lack what real women have...but of course I am not a size 0 so that is why I say that. I used to own a clothing store with my sister and we would go to LA for market and it cracked us up when we asked what the biggest size was that a particular line carried and the answer was "we go all the way up to a size 8"...8 is fat huh? Ok let the throwing up begin. :)N

Rusty Walker said...

I agree with you, Nikki. This has been a constant complaint of mine. And, this isn't a default position, as my wife is actually quite thin (I have been after her to put on a little weight). I see this “oversized model” as normal - more of the real-person, ideal of femininity (hips, bust, etc). Like the sexy ladies that I adored growing up with in the fifties (Marilyn Monroe would be considered to heavy now…pity). Having raised two teenage daughters through the 80s and 90s, I didn’t have so much an issue with them, but recently my 16 and 18 year old nieces, have gone up and down trying to fit into popular culture’s ideal of thin!

Natalie Portman used to be lovely, now she is looking more like the pouty, anorexic, models one sees in the first 50 pages of ads in (the very liberal, but well written magazine) Vanity Fair!