Sunday, June 7, 2009

As if Osama and Your Mama Were Reading...

I want to follow up my last post on the Ed Whelan/John Blevins controversy.

Two friends,
Wordsmith and Serr8d, took exception in the comments (here and here) to my claim that using a blogging pseudonym is "kind of cowardly ..."

So let me clarify: It is my personal belief that someone, especially an academic, should stand up for what they have to say. It's a matter of integrity and reputation. Would you make more vociferous attacks on others when enjoying the cloak pseudonymity? Would you make demonic attacks? Even if your answer is no, can you deny that your comfort level would not tempt you? It's a difficult situation.
James Joyner said something this morning that was just about right for me. He notes:

I’ve blogged here under my real name for over six years and prefer to read and link bloggers who do likewise. Signing my name to what I write makes me think twice and the active realization that others whose arguments I’m engaging are real people also tends to make me more reflective.
And to remind folks:, I don't approve of what Ed Whelan has done. On the other hand, I question why "Publius" needs to remain protected by pseudonymity. Ann Althouse has been a long-time inspiration for me, and she's written quite a bit on using the "cloak." See quotes herself in a post today on Publius' predicament, offering a little cost/benefit analysis on academic blogging:

I would never insult or demean or deliberately hurt the feelings of students. I wouldn't casually knock my law school (though there are some considered criticisms I would be willing to make). I wouldn't hurt my family or acquaintances or even reveal much of anything about them (without permission). So there aren't really any significant ways using my own name limits me ... I care immensely about freedom as I do this blogging. But I also want to be aware of myself as an identifiable person, responsible for what I say (which is true whether you use a pseudonym or not). And I don't mind getting personal credit for anything good I might happen to say. Also, I kind of like being a public persona.
I especially like that last part about the "public persona." That's precisely how I feel about my blogging identity. But I also like Ann's honesty and integrity. She wants to blog responsibly. But I don't think academics who blog using a pseudonym are going to worry about responsibility when they're able to write whatever they want, cost-free. That, to me, is what's "cowardly."

Having clarified that, I think Greyhawk at Mudville Gazette makes the most compelling case on the need to blog under the cloak of pseudonymity, "
Who the f%^& are you?":

I staggered back to the Underground
And the breeze blew back my hair
I remembered throwin' punches around
And preachin' from my chair
<...>
Well, who are you / Who are you... who who, who, who...
Oh, who are you / Who are you... who who, who, who...
Come on, tell me, who are you / Who are you...
Oh, who the f%^& are you / Who are you...

- The Who, "
Who are You?" ...
Wanna be linked by everyone in the blogosphere? Try exposing an pseudonymous blogger. It works, and as a double bonus your subject's identity will be known far beyond the readership of your site.

Bad form, says I - though so is hiding behind a pseudonym in order to be an obnoxious twit (note I'm not accusing anyone of that motive here). I maintained a pseudonymous blog here for many years and many reasons - at the outset primarily because as a milblogger I practiced more strict OPSEC than what's officially required; for example, someone who knew who I was could determine where I was, from that many other bad things could potentially follow. Bear in mind that was the calculation of a guy who was one of the first milbloggers, entering into an unknown world (and an unknown future at war) - and the handful that preceded me were all pseudonymous, a tradition that continues with the vast majority starting out today.

I'm fine with that - I'd encourage it, even. But beyond potential OPSEC considerations, I tried to write everything I posted as though I were using my real name (as if Osama and your mama were reading is advice I follow and give freely). Part of the reason for that was anticipating I wouldn't be pseudonymous forever - that either by my choice or otherwise (as in the example above) I would one day be known ...
Read the rest here.

Wordsmith and Serr8d have their own reasons for blogging under a pseudonym, and I really don't begrudge them for it. These guys are right-on, straight-up, and solid. They're not messing around, attacking their enemies with the most vicious slanders and vulgarities - and if they were, they wouldn't be my friends.

If you're up for more, Ed Whelan has now responded to the whole uproar he instigated. He crossed a line, and he's diminished for it. And that's all I have to say about that ...

6 comments:

Dana R Pico said...

I use my read name, my full name, on my site. While I usually only use "Dana" here, the embedded link back to my site is all the information you need.

I've also discussed my (small) home town, and it would be easy for someone to actually find me if he chose. That is a risk I accept.

But a couple of other co-bloggers on my site don't use their real names, and I understand their reasons.

AmPowerBlog said...

You're a good man, Dana, and I bet you have to take some responsibility for what's said at your page ...

tbogg said...

Oh come on, Donald. That wasn't even close to the best of of my "vicious slanders and vulgarities".

I'm much more slanderous and vulgar than that. I mean look at all the traffic that William Jacobson got out of me today? That's the name of the game isn't it?

As you teachers like to say: next time, show work.

-Pseudonymous and irresponsible tbogg

Serr8d said...

I understood your intent before you published your clarification, DD. And your clarity here (It is my personal belief that someone, especially an academic, should stand up for what they have to say. It's a matter of integrity and reputation.) illustrates another good reason I stay as a pseudonym (besides that huge, glaring reason I gave earlier: by not desiring to make any money through blogads, etc., I have a right to stay pseudonymous): I left the halls of academia after graduation and haven't returned; now, I've spent 28 years being one of those evil 'capitalists' who actually keeps the wheels of this great nation greased and turning. In other words, an easy target. There's no tenure in Capitalism. (An aside: how long a true Capitalist can continue to do well in this slip-sliding-away society? It's strange how 'Progressives' want to attempt to 'improve' on a thing without having a clue as to how to actually achieve that so-called improving CHANGE without destroying the nation in the process, isn't it?)

As for such as tbogg, well, he makes some $change$ at his blog; he should put his name on it, as finally did that "OPEN THREAD!" atroidiot Duncan Black. For me, that's the criteria that's most important: if you want to participate in capitalism with ads or PayPal revenues, put it in your name.

(Oh, the next great Internet Scandal: tbogg &c. chased by the IRS for not declaring his online revenues! I'll get right on it! )

Benjamin Blattberg said...

Amazingly, I more or less agree with your post here.

Except, I just want to add, as others have pointed out, there's a difference between writing under a pseudonym and writing anonymously--"publius" was always "publius," could always be found at Obsidian Wings, and could always be called out on his argument alone when his argument was faulty.

(Whelan's argument for why he did it seems particularly self-serving since it doesn't really change that dynamic that I just describes--Blevins will still be at Obsidian Wings (hopefully) and can still be called out on his argument. It's not like he outed "publius" as the front for a cell of Al Qaeda.)

Laura Lee - Grace Explosion said...

I think that perception is foundational. "What is" the blogosphere to different people?? To me, it's like a dating site. lol Well, I'm not using it as a dating site - wouldn't. But on dating sites, you protect your anonymity because you choose to whom to reveal yourself according to the level relationship that develops.

I, personally, am not making any effort to be a "news blog". I think that "let the buyer beware". I would completely understand if someone said, "I'm not going to take your site seriously as a news site - because you are not accountable personally to community as you present news."

But if people are communicating their own opinions, their own take on things, presenting concepts, or even just ranting or venting or joking or doing whatever they do - it's their business. Their ideas do or do not have merit as assessed by the reader.

In a "free marketplace idea" - sometimes isn't a "blind test" of those ideas meritorious?? Do we really have "to know" that person in order to evaluate their ideas?? We shouldn't. I didn't know any of the founders personally. But, I can read their quotes and "know them" on the basis of their words. I see and know their characters revealed, their paradigms - a sense of their personhood that means a whole lot more to me than information I could find on a drivers license.

Personally, I am very comfortable with the whole "blind identity" as I read blogs. Donald, it wouldn't matter to me if your name was your name or a pseudonym. I'm listening to your thought processes and watching how you tie logical ideas together and relate your ideas and concepts to the culture - and how you debate back and forth with others.

In other words, Donald, I love you for your mind - not your drivers license - not your "real time" identity - or any such thing.

What I find objectionable, personally, are people who pry, who are nosey, busybodies, meddlers, control-freaks - and people who use shame and blame to try to control free speech and try to create their own monopoly rather than a free marketplace of idea.

I don't like the bullying. I think that those who are "outing" people - sounds to me like they are bullies trying to bully. They judge and assess the motives of others and they justify themselves - and they declare they have found a speck in their brothers eye in that they have not disclosed their own identity of their own free will - and so they move with a board in their own to violate other people's anonymity and the creativity which sometimes accompanies anonymity.

Let the buyer beware. Buy the stuff or don't - but don't reach across the line and take control of someone else's store because you don't like what they are selling.

Didn't we all grow up knowing that narcs were people that are like thieves - people with no honor?? To me, these people outing identities on the blogosphere are NARCS - and who would like them or trust them as human beings?? A blogger's identity is their own business. If people want to scoop things that are truly important that people really need to know - like about what is going on in our world today in government, etc. - that's one thing. That's investigative journalism, etc. etc.

But outing fellow bloggers is just being a narc. The narc is someone whose dinner party I wouldn't want to attend.

:)

Grace.