Monday, March 1, 2010

Paul McCartney Sells Out Hollywood Bowl in Record Time!

My good friend Anton thanked me for my post on "Let it Be." And I thought about it: We all have unique relationships to music. Anton has a collection of over 500 vinyl LPs, and he was able to record them all to tape and then to digital, thus preserving the newness and quality of his record albums. Recall that Anton does the Sunday Night Music Club over at PA Pundits International, and I check over there for inspiration from time to time.

The funny thing is, at the bottom of my post on "Let it Be" I noted that, "Maybe I'll catch Paul McCartney in concert before he retires!" That was Saturday night and I hadn't yet heard about McCartney's new concert tour. A second show was added for a historic Hollywood Bowl performance, but tickets sold out in minutes. I checked the Twitter stream for McCartney and there was some grumbling about it.

Don't know when I'll get to see him in concert, given the incredible demand. But it'd be hard to think of rock history coming more alive that a McCartney event. I'll keep trying. In the meantime, enjoy "Silly Love Songs." It turns out that McCartney was taking a lot of heat in the '70s for his pop-music turn, and he recorded "Silly Love Songs" in response,
as a smackdown on his critics. The song went Number One at Billboard UK, etc. My favorite section is the vocal arrangement at the end of the number, especially in the studio version:

I love you
I love you
I love you

(BGV# 1 I can't explain the feeling's plain to me, say can't you see?)
I love you
(BGV#1 Ah, he gave me more, he gave it all to me, say can't you see)
I love you
(BGV#1 I can't explain the feeling's plain to me, say can't you see?)
(BGV#2 How can I tell you about my loved one?)
I love you
(BGV#1 Ah, he gave me more, he gave it all to me, say can't you see)
(BGV#2 How can I tell you about my loved one?)
I love you
(BGV#1 I can't explain the feeling's plain to me, say can't you see?)
(BGV#2 How can I tell you about my loved one?)
I love you
(BGV#1 Ah, he gave me more, he gave it all to me, say can't you see)
(BGV#2 How can I tell you about my loved one?)

You'd think that people would have had enough of silly love songs.
But I look around me and I see it isn't so. Oh, no
Some people wanna fill the world with silly love songs.
And what's wrong with that?

Plus, check out the photo-stream from McCartney and other at last year at Coachella, "Coachella Music Festival 2009 - Day One in Photos."

More later ...

6 comments:

Rusty Walker said...

Thanks for the memories! One of the great feel-good songs of the 70s. Nothin' silly about love!

dogzilla said...

Hey Don! Just received an email from McCartney's site (3/2/10 4 PM EST) that Miami and other venues have just been added. Maybe you can still score some tickets. Good luck and thanks for a great blog!

AmPowerBlog said...

You're welcome, Rusty!

AmPowerBlog said...

Cool, Dogzilla. Thanks for your support!

Mandy Strahan said...

"Silly Love Songs" has always been one of my favorites and like you, I think the vocal arrangements are exquisite!

kreiz1 said...

"Silly Love Songs"- an underrated pop delight.

See that you've posted Lennon's Revolution. Another hugely underrated tune- "Hey Bulldog" from Yellow Submarine. A Lennon tune- it's a little known Beatles' gem.