Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Dick Cheney on Same-Sex Marriage

Here's a couple videos of Dick Cheney. In the first video, the former vice president said "freedom means freedom for all." But he qualifies that by arguing that regulating marriage is properly handled a the state level.

The second video shows Cheney's interview, with his daughter, on Greta Van Susteren "On the Record." Here's the transcript:

VAN SUSTEREN: You bring up sort of the social issues, and of course, today, I couldn't help but notice you were asked the question about -- of gay marriage, and you said that it wasn't -- that you weren't in favor, at least -- as I understand your answer, in favor of federal statute, but it should be state by state by state. Did that mean you're in favor of gay marriage within state by state?

D. CHENEY: Well, if that's what the people of the state want to do, that's fine by me. I mean, I don't, I ...

VAN SUSTEREN: How would you vote on it?

D. CHENEY: I made the announcement at the outset that I believe equal rights means equal rights for everybody and that people ought to be able to enter into any kind of relationship they want, but that the states ought to retain the ability to regulate and determine what's marriage and what the legal status of those unions are. It should not be a federal issue.

VAN SUSTEREN: President Obama is in favor of civil unions, not in favor of gay marriage. Are you saying you're in favor -- if you were, you know, hitting the button in the voting booth, that you would be for your state having gay marriage, or would be you be ...

D. CHENEY: Well, I look at it, obviously, in personal terms. And my daughter, Mary, is in a -- you know, I think a very commendable relationship with somebody she's known for a long time, and I'm strongly supportive of that.
Leftists are giddy. See Huffington Post and Memeorandum.

4 comments:

Benjamin Blattberg said...

Hmmm--your banner says that this site will provide commentary, so... where's the commentary?

cracker said...

Ohhhhhohohohohooo....

Dr......I know that hurts, I will be gentle here. I dont believe in rubbing salt in any wounds and I despise mean-spiritedness.....but dang man! this IS too rich.

The living godfather of the Neocon Philosophy....says "Gay Marriage....no no... Same Sex Marriage is A.OK by me....hell, let my gay daughter exercise her rights and freedoms here in the US of A.

Parse it any way you want.....Federal or State by State.

it ends up looking like this

Obama- Against Same Sex Marriage
Cheney- For Same Sex Marriage.

When JBW chimes in on this!, ooooh man......

Cheers Dr. (toasts shot of whiskey)

JBW said...

So I guess that's my cue, huh cracker?

I have two thoughts: 1) Ben JB is right to ask "where's the commentary?" I think that it's pretty safe to say that Don doesn't agree with the Chene Gang on this one but I miss the remarks about how he's trying to destroy families, society and "opposite" marriage by kicking God in the balls.

Cause you see, Cheney still loves him some torture and I know that Don does too (at least if the tortured are brown and godless, I mean non-American) so he can't say that Cheney hates America, yet Cheney clearly hates America because he's in favor of gays fornicating whilest wearing matching rings. It's a neocon-undrum.

And 2) Cheney's still a scumbag politician. Notice that after twice being asked flat out if he'd personally vote in favor of gay marriage he defers by saying that if that's what "people" want to do then he's OK with it and that "people" should be able to decide what their state does.

I get the distinct impression that Cheney would tolerate gay marriage rather than be in favor of it for his daughter's sake, just as I suspect that he tolerates his daughter being gay rather than being in favor of it because he has little other choice in the matter.

Of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong...

cracker said...

Neo-con-undrum.....

neo, neo-drum....neo-con-num-drum

Neo-comundru n.....